My Parents Don’t Like Who I Date. How Do I Get Them to Like Him?
|Kara Pound • 6/29/12|
This really depends on if you care what your parents think. If you have a close relationship with mom and dad, respect them immensely and consider them friends as well as parents, then you should absolutely care what they think.
If your parents are completely out of touch with reality and don’t like the new beau because of something superficial like tattoos, piercings or the fact that he’s not a doctor or lawyer, then screw them.
The following are completely reasonable and acceptable reasons for why your parents wouldn’t like your boyfriend, and you should heed their advice:
- He doesn’t treat you well.
- He abuses you either physically or verbally.
- He mooches off of you.
- He’s rude and disrespectful.
- He considers a full-time job playing video games in his boxers.
The following are totally lame reasons for your parents not to like your boyfriend, and you might as well ignore their opinion on the matter:
- He’s a struggling yet passionate and hardworking artist.
- He didn’t go to Yale or another Ivy League school.
- His idea of fashion is a tank top and board shorts.
- He has tattoos or piercings.
- He drives a beat-up truck.
If your parents don’t like the guy you’re dating, take some time to think about your relationship with your parents and the reasons why they don’t like him. There is where your answer lies.