DATING ADVICE FORUM

21 year old interested in 16 year old?

Author
    Comments

• nyc1995
    Participant
    August 31, 2016 at 1:37 pm #110204
    21 year old interested in 16 year old?

So I am a 21 year old female in college and I am interested in a guy who is 16 (almost 17). I swear I’m normal and have dated guys my own age and older. I have known his family my whole life and the past month we have been talking more and I am starting to have feelings for him. In Florida, it is not illegal (even though this relationship is not sexual).
    Would it be weird to start seeing him? He is very mature and smart. This has never happened to me. Now I finally understand that the heart wants what the heart wants! What do you all think about this?

temporarily
    Participant
    September 26, 2016 at 2:27 pm #112502

Hi!
    One year ago I would’ve classified any relationship between a 21&16-year old as not okay, but then I saw one relationship with that type of age difference appear in my social circle, and now I would say it depends on the circumstances.
    So, I got to know this group of people through a new hobby, among them a 16-year old girl. She had been friends with my cousin, who was 21 at the time, and they were super close, so,I’d heard a lot about her before meeting her. Half a year later she and my cousin started a romantic relationship, and to my surprise I was fine with it. I thought about it a lot and defined a couple of reasons for this:
    1. He was aware of the age difference. He knew they were in different stages of life, and doesn’t try to force her to grow up, she’s still quite naive despite being mature for her age, and he lets her be that
    2. He lets her take the lead in everything. She is the one taking the next step if she wants to.
    3. Her family knows him, and approves of him.

1stworldview233
    Participant
    September 27, 2016 at 7:27 pm #112667

1stworldview233@gmail.com

mackenzierayburn
    Participant
    September 27, 2016 at 11:48 pm #112674

It’s a little bit weird at those ages.

temporarily
    Participant
    September 28, 2016 at 2:46 am #112682

Oh, yes, it definitely is! It’s just not always abusive or exploiting