42 year old single mother of an 11 year old

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 7:59 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

martie917
    Participant
    December 31, 2012 at 2:46 pm #19723

Just seeking opinions on whether anyone feels single parents should date or not; and how soon do you introduce your child(ren). I met someone 4 years ago, that started out as a friendship. 2 years ago, we decided to try dating. After a year of dating, we made the decision to introduce him to my son because we had made the decision in becoming more serious. Well, after year #2, things have gone south and I called it quits. My son feels as though he’s to blame. He really connected to my ex. Although I’ve assured him that it is not because of him that we’ve decided to go our separate ways, he still expresses that he feels he’s partly to blame. This is one reason prior to dating seriously, I had held of introducing him to anyone for 9 years. This is the only man my son has known me to be involved with. His father and I parted ways before he was born. I know there are a lot of elements to this story and I can add a lot more. I’m just on the fence as to whether or not I should ever introduce him to anyone or even try dating again. I am 42 years old and not getting any younger.

abigail
    abigail
    Participant
    January 4, 2013 at 10:50 am #19965

You are a great woman to admit you’ve tried one thing and are willing to change in order to please your child.

Without knowing why you and your recent ex broke up, I don’t think what you did was wrong. You are aware of your preteens reactions and you want him to know your intentions are genuine when it comes to introducing a new man in his life.

The next time you meet a guy, take your time. Keep your son close and don’t let him worry about “mom being lonely” I think he’ll appreciate that you are a strong woman and he is proud to stand next to you no matter what your romantic decisions are. Keeping him in the loop should always be the first choice…it’s the least you can do!

I also think if you’re cute about it and tell him “he’ll be the only man in your life” you’ll give him a bit of reassurance that his opinion maters 🙂