43 year old boyfriend living with his Mama

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 10:09 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

lovellia719
    Participant
    November 11, 2014 at 7:53 pm #67505

I’m in a bit of an odd situation. I recently started dating a man who is immaculately kind, generous, gets along with everyone; young and old, would drop everything to help someone in need, and is widely known (due to his profession and personality). Everyone that I meet through him tells me how I have one of the “greatest guys out there”. He said that women; especially me should be treated with appreciation and respect. His adoration for me has even led him to tell me that I’m “the one”. But here’s the catch: He’s 43 and lives with his mom. He said that he would do everything for me; so long as I accept her living with him (us) ALWAYS. She’s not disabled and she has friends and family that visit her frequently. I know that if I live with them, it will never be “our” house and that we’ll still have to live by her rules. Granted, she is a kind woman who’s equally as generous. But to never, EVER have our own house where we can do as we please is a massive hang-up to me. What should I do?

certifiedgirlgeek
    certifiedgirlgeek
    Participant
    November 11, 2014 at 8:38 pm #67507

I know that relationships are about compromise, but there are certain things that you need to stand strong on. It sounds like you really want to build a life and a home with a man.
    You can choose to give it time and see if you would be willing to accept being a part of their lives. Or, you can be honest and let him know your dreams and desires in a sensible manner. No tears, no yelling and no ultimatums. You don’t need them. Just as he came into your life, so will another.
    I dated a man whose guilty mother treated him, and dobted over him, like a god. So when I didn’t, he dramatically broke up with me and threw fits when I didn’t run after him crying. I knew there were other men out there that were waiting to find me. I finally walked away and never looked back and now am in a healthy, loving relationship.
    Follow your intuition, it won’t steer you wrong.
    Good luck!

layla
    Participant
    December 1, 2014 at 12:07 pm #68453

I really wouldn’t go there. its not healthy.
    You could consider suggesting buying a Scandinavian timber self assembly onsite house together, lay it on a site and you’ve a good start if finance is an issue. You can always build your dream home in the future and theres no pressure on you both.
    Let him know that its a deal-breaker for you and unreasonable to expect it of you especially if there’s no apparent reason for his present living circumstances.
    I guess mentally, its not healthy for a guy to still be that dependent as there is a co-dependency there no matter the situation or personalities involved. You need to be on an equal footing emotionally .financially etc to have a decent chance and give your future with this man a decent shot.