A difference between men and women?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 10:20 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

BLawson
    BLawson
    Participant
    June 12, 2014 at 1:38 pm #55229

So I’ve been single again since March, and something occurred to me- if you filter most dating advice and columns about what men and women want, meeting a girl you are interested in tends to break down into two categories:

Friend zone or sex. There’s no middle ground- men are taught that if you don’t immediately pursue a woman to the bedroom you’re not a man; and then someone else will jump in your place. My problem with this is it leaves no room for the idea of real connection. Do we just live for sex? Sex with people you don’t care about should be relatively easy to find for anyone.

When I meet a cute girl (90% of them are cute in Austin, so that’s never an issue), I’d like to get to know her a bit, to see if there is some genuine chemistry, before I pursue her romantically. Does this mean I should be written off as friend zone material? Is it better to pursue the sex, get it, and realize she’s not someone I’m interested in and cut my losses? We need a third option.

jayfad
    Participant
    June 12, 2014 at 8:53 pm #55280

I wish I had a good answer. I’m like you, I prefer to get to know a girl before jumping in bed with her. It’s risky though — you Meet a girl and get to know her. She then starts to consider you as a friend, so you effectively get friend-zoned. Then when you bring up the idea of something more you risk losing the friendship if she is not receptive to the idea. That’s happened to me several times. Of course, I started to care about them as friends as well and wanted more out of the relationship, but they did not. They then began to distance themselves. It hurt to lose a friendship.

So, I don’t know, maybe it is better to just casually date, and not bother with trying to get to know them or build up a friendship first.

Marcello
    Participant
    June 13, 2014 at 8:23 pm #55353

How long do you guys usually take in escalating things further to the next level? If you’re attracting quality women into your lives then the fear of thinking “she’ll friendzone me” becomes irrelevant.

Women who are insecure will often play nonsensical games with their partner in order to see if they’re real or not.