Advice on how to break news!

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 1:19 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

siinoevil
    siinoevil
    Participant
    December 5, 2017 at 8:43 pm #159170

So I am a 21 y/o. I’ve been good friends with this guy (also 21 y/o) online on ps4 for a year, and just recently we started dating. (thanksgiving, so Nov 23rd?) We have video chatted more than once, and Video chatted while playing video games so I have at least SOME proof he’s not some 50 year old guy.

The problem. Even though I’m a legal adult, my mother still has a lot of control over my assets, and in that sense I still have to listen to her. She is very distrusting of me, and, at least to me, it is excessive. She won’t give me the leeway to build trust, and it is to the point I am scared to tell her anything in case she bans me from it.

I want to go visit him in February. He is only one state away and I could easily drive there. Does anyone have advice on how to break it to a distrustful mother that I’m dating someone online, and that I want to meet him?

siinoevil
    siinoevil
    Participant
    December 7, 2017 at 8:59 pm #159448

Unless someone has a alternate suggestion, I have decided to attempt to introduce my mother to him through a video call this Saturday (12/9).

clark1009
    clark1009
    Participant
    December 8, 2017 at 1:08 pm #159520

WOW, first time poster and I see this as my first thread. I am 53 (haha) and have no idea how the ‘new digital’ world works with meeting people. And since no else responded, I thought might throw 2 worthless cents in. I am probably about the age your mother is so may have some of the same misgivings. On the other hand, I always have had a great relationship with my parents, brothers, sister, nephews nieces etc. SO on that front have nothing in common.

Would I want either of my daughters to introduce me to a significant other via skype or similar.

In a word, no. All manner of alarm bells would be going off. And I trust them. But I am 53. I can not offer a reasonable piece of advise but consider the following;

1. By being open and honest with your mother, you might be putting down a building block of a good relationship with her.
    2. Introduce him as you might other friends online to see what your mom thinks of him or the situation.
    3. don’t hide anything. too many possible negatives