Advice to anyone thinking of coming out

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 1:52 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

chipdip
    Participant
    February 5, 2013 at 11:04 am #21878

I want all you guys to think and take your time. There is no rush to coming out.

Coming out is for YOU not for anyone else. Don’t think about what others will say but instead think about how you will react to those things. Whether it’s positive or negative, you need to represent a community of scared/nervous individuals. I believe for every gay guy who comes out, there is one more educated straight person.

Remember you are a lesson to others, some ppl will never understand the difficulty and the stress it takes out on someone so make sure you stand up tall no matter how many people want to push you down. Be mature, confident and proud.

Anonymous
    February 13, 2013 at 12:03 pm #22617

Well said. No man should be rushed to come out. It’s not for anyone else. The pressures around us are unbearable but being a part of a community like this forum helps remind us that we’re all human and we deserve the same amount of respect!

chipdip
    Participant
    February 15, 2013 at 3:36 pm #22840

That’s right, there should be no pressure and it’s unfortunate to see the many young (and older) men be pushed into a corner to admit they are gay or straight. THEN there’s the pressure that’s built up and the edge these boys get forced to stand on just to crumble because they haven’t had enough personal time to digest their feelings….

It’s just a shame when there’s so many deceiving people out there making this a harder situation for gay men to grasp onto.

uluvdj
    uluvdj
    Participant
    December 7, 2015 at 12:22 am #89586

Right on. Coming out needs to be on that persons terms but in the same note should not be prolonged or dragged out. Being forced out only causes resentment, self hatred and further denial of your sexuality. Take the incident with the boxer from Philly. He was exposed and still tried with all his might to deny his sexuality until he realized there was nowhere to hide anymore. Coming out, you need a circle of friends who will accept you unconditionally.

Jake
    Participant
    February 25, 2016 at 5:10 pm #94457

I totally agree! This is your news to tell and you should take your time. As long as you’re happy, that’s all that counts.

Until recently, I had always been out to friends, co-workers and pretty much everyone who knows me *except family*. I had honestly become pretty content with keeping my dating life private. My parents aren’t necessarily the “accepting and understanding” type. Well I started seeing someone a while back and I guess my stepdad caught on. One day he just flat out asks me about it and wants to know who this person is. I decided to just go for it…. I had been keeping this to myself for over twelve years and, just like that, I was out. Most importantly, nothing has changed. So all those years I could have just dealt with a short, uncomfortable conversation and it would have been over with.. I know this is not for everyone but that’s how it finally happened for me.

Tiffishot55
    Participant
    August 14, 2016 at 8:18 am #108174

Thank you so much wonderful advice

myan
    Participant
    September 19, 2016 at 2:16 am #111777

I need help with my situation,