Am I putting myself in real financial danger with boyfriend??

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 12:29 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

feelingsotorn
    Participant
    October 3, 2017 at 2:42 pm #151307

Long story short: dating man for 5 years but he never had any real financial sense. He is now unemployed with no prospects and over 65 years old. I am very financially sound but have adult kids who need my help so I’m still working at 60 y/o. We love each other but I see red flags all over the place. I know he is really trying to get a job and he inherited some money (but a modest amount) but I’ve been waiting for 6 months and nothing has changed (except his unemployment will run out next month). I know I should break things off but also know it will be really painful and I’ll miss him terribly. I just can’t seem to do what I need to do to get myself out of harm’s way with him b/c I know I’ll end up supporting him at least in part but he is such a good man and a great boyfriend otherwise. HELP!!

har7655
    Participant
    October 3, 2017 at 3:12 pm #151318

Firstly, thanks for your response to my question, as harsh as it is. As for your question then you’d be a fool to break up with him! Now if he was unemployed and penniless when you got together then his morals could be questioned. But he wasn’t. You are supposed to support each other through good time and bad – be it emotionally, physically, financially or any other type of support. You are supposed to love them for who they are, not what they have. Not to sound rude, but if you want to throw away 5 years just because he lost his job then he’s better off without you.

triciamint
    triciamint
    Participant
    October 3, 2017 at 9:51 pm #151357

Firstly, thanks for your response to my question, as harsh as it is. As for your question then you’d be a fool to break up with him! Now if he was unemployed and penniless when you got together then his morals could be questioned. But he wasn’t. You are supposed to support each other through good time and bad – be it emotionally, physically, financially or any other type of support. You are supposed to love them for who they are, not what they have. Not to sound rude, but if you want to throw away 5 years just because he lost his job then he’s better off without you.

Yes, I agree with this. You’re both 65 and 60 years old. When you love someone, you should do so with all your heart. It’s not about what he has or what he doesn’t have. You give and take. If you love him, then stay with him.