Being setup by friends, good idea ?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 12:52 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Quiet guy
    Participant
    June 30, 2015 at 12:50 am #81778

It’s come to my attention lately that I have a few friends that are trying to set me up with someone. Let me set the scene, after a recent event I was asked to give this young lady a tour of our operation. I did, and during this tour, we chatted, had a few laughs, and generally got along well. I could have easily asked her out or arranged to meet later, but did not in the interest of professionalism. When I returned back I was asked “did you make a date?” I took that as a little odd considering the circumstances. Tonight, a different friend called and asked “did you get a chance to meet our daughter today, I’m not trying to set you up, shes happily married.”

I suppose my question is do these two friends have good intentions or what? What’s you take on things?

tropperdu
    tropperdu
    Participant
    July 1, 2015 at 2:26 am #81859

It doesn’t sound like they’re doing any harm. If you genuinely dislike being set up by people (sounds as though this was the case in at least the first situation) then tell them straight up. Otherwise, unless they get too pushy or make you uncomfortable, I don’t see the harm in what they’re doing.

Quiet guy
    Participant
    July 1, 2015 at 9:07 am #81876

I don’t mind being set up by either of these friends, in fact I’m somewhat glad they did try. I just felt it was innapproiate as myself and they young lady were in and administrator – examinee role. Had this been in a everyday situation, I’d have no problem with it.

Thank you for your outside view, I apperciate it

Sandje
    Participant
    July 2, 2015 at 5:21 pm #81942

I think its all a crapshoot. My friend Becky set me up with one of her friends, and it started off going very well. The problem is, once things started to tank it hurt my relationship with Becky. There’s a little risk involved, because friends end up having to take sides or be true to a particular person. Keep that in mind.

Quiet guy
    Participant
    July 6, 2015 at 8:22 am #81980

That’s one advantage I had going for me here. My friend did not know the set up either. They just created the opportunity for myself and the lady to chat. But you do bring up a good point that I had not considered.

illcato
    Participant
    July 6, 2015 at 4:19 pm #82049

Might as well try it, if you don’t mesh well then you just stop

Ragner
    Participant
    July 8, 2015 at 3:04 am #82209

Nothing to lose.

rev11
    Participant
    July 8, 2015 at 12:09 pm #82278

It seems like they are trying to help you out. Nothing to lose by going with it.

Quiet guy
    Participant
    July 8, 2015 at 5:47 pm #82406

Just though I’d take a minute to say thanks for the replies. I had the feeling they were just trying to help, but it’s always good to have an outside perspective view of things.

I’ll be asking another question soon enough in another thread.

Thanks again.