Can he really see me as a friend?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 11:31 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Siobhan21
    Participant
    September 28, 2017 at 4:20 pm #150806

Ok, I am one that doesn’t believe in the whole guy-girl friend thing. You can’t be just friends with a guy or a girl. Even if there are some exceptions to the rule, those exceptions could break too someday, you can never say never. But in this case, we kind of knew each other for years. We weren’t exactly friends because he was studying in another country but when he returned we started talking, it lead to flirting and we said that we would meet up and that we wanted something to happen between us. Then he gets a job proposal at yet another country and when we meet he tells me it’s better that nothing happens between us, because he’s leaving and of course he was right since I didn’t want just a one night stand. But the real tricky thing happens next: After he leaves, we maintain contact and he calls me friend, he even says things like ”I consider you something like my little sister”. And I’m like ”seriously????”‘
    Could this really happen?

triciamint
    triciamint
    Participant
    September 29, 2017 at 10:20 am #150853

Maybe it’s his way of moving on and he said that so you can move on as well. Since he keeps getting assigned somewhere else, obviously you’re not meant to be together. Whenever you agree that you want to be more than friends, circumstances just don’t go with the flow.

sye1776
    Participant
    September 29, 2017 at 9:22 pm #151032

I’m friends with tons of women. Most of which I’d be happy to be considered “more than friends” if given the opportunity but the other 25% I can’t imagine being more than just friends. Guys and girls can absolutely be friends, but I think at least one of them needs to not find attractive the other.

Siobhan21
    Participant
    September 30, 2017 at 2:46 am #151043

@sye1776 Yes i understand what you’re saying but in my case he did find me attractive, he still does. You can’t go back on that, if you find someone attractive once you find them for life. So that’s why it strikes me as so weird that he calls me sister now! I guess it’s what @triciamint is suggesting…