Can my dog take his 'man card' away?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 5:12 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

SS
    Participant
    December 29, 2013 at 8:56 pm #45417

Alright, I really want a man’s opinion on this, because I think it is just ridiculous.

So, this happened a few months ago with the last guy I dated (I really want to know if this will be a problem in the future as well, is this a “thing” that I just didn’t know?) Basically…The guy seemed to have an issue with who/what my dog was. (he loves dogs and got along great with the dog personality wise, so its nothing like that…)..but…

I own an unaltered American Bully (for those who don’t know, its like a super thick/short pit bull)
    Anyway, the guy was like “threatened” by my dog’s manliness?

He said it was a turn off for a girl to own such a “guy-type dog” and told me that I should get rid of the dog and get a smaller breed so that his black labrador could be the “manlier” dog in the couple.

He said either that or that I should give him the dog or let him walk it when we go on walks so people think the dog is his……..

SS
    Participant
    December 29, 2013 at 9:00 pm #45418

He said at the very very least that I should fix the dog (which is not an option, he is a show dog and must be unaltered to compete)

I just don’t understand what the big deal was. Why is it so bad that I own a pit bull and he owns a lab? Why can’t we both just own the breeds we like? He made such a big deal about it, acting like he can’t be a man because my dog was more of a stud than his dog.

He said he would get embarrassed when we went places with the dogs and people saw me walking the “more masculine dog”.

so the question remains, guys…can a dog take your man card away or was he just out of line?

Crescendo63
    Crescendo63
    Participant
    January 3, 2014 at 7:37 pm #45794

I’m sorry to break your bubble, but I think you’re dating a moron. 😉
    (and/or, a very weak and insecure dude)

First, there’s no such thing as “dog’s manliness”. He’s seeing ghosts.
    Any dog would tell you, if anything, it’s about “dog’s dogginess”! 😀

Next time what, he’ll tell you to avoid steaks and eating salads, because “steaks are for men only””?
    Is he still living in the 1800s ?!?

You’re right, it IS just ridiculous. And, alas, that’s telling about your BF.
    He feels threatend and lessened because, deep down, he believes he’s not man enough.
    Of course, changing your dog wouldn’t really fix anything, because he would still remain immature and weak.

Your dog has nothing wrong. OTOH, you BF is debatable.
    You have to ponder if you really want to be with such a guy. And beware, in the long run, things will most likely become worse.
    Unless he’s willing to admit his insecurities and deal with them (and it looks like he doesn’t), he will always be manipulative and demanding.

Ermac_camrE
    Ermac_camrE
    Participant
    January 3, 2014 at 8:03 pm #45797

Crescendo63 is a man-prophet by all means.

ShotsFired
    Participant
    January 4, 2014 at 4:03 pm #45823

You’re dating a guy who has his priorities in the completely wrong places. He should respect your taste in dog breeds, and since he’s a show dog, he should respect your dog and support you with that hobby. He sounds like a child.

Lluvia
    Participant
    April 7, 2014 at 6:41 pm #45996

He is inmature and obviously insecure.
    I mean, … treathen by a dog?
    Really? ???
    God forbid you had a son and he was too “masculine”, he probably see him as a threat too.
    He is not enough man for you !