Confusing Situation – Two Guys One Girl

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    September 9, 2017 at 6:28 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

surprisetr1angle
    Participant
    April 24, 2017 at 3:26 pm #134242

So I’ve ended up in a really weird situation and don’t know how to move forward. Everyone here is 28-35, so we’re all adults. All in grad school together.

So I have a crush on this one girl at school and I’ve been planning to ask her out for a while. I’ve told my best friend at school a number of times that I was into her and planned on asking her out. He’s been supportive.

I finally managed to ask her out, and her response implied that she might be interested but she thinks that my best friend had also asked her out so she asked if we can hang out as friends “for now”.

Here’s where it gets weird – my friend doesn’t remember asking her out and thinks it must have happened drunk. So what do we do? He feels weird, I think he half likes her but also feels like an ass, I’m now stuck playing second fiddle when I told my friend ahead of time where I was with her, and while she obviously has a say here I feel like if we bring the weirdness up she won’t want to date either of us.,

strudelsnatcher
    Participant
    May 1, 2017 at 8:51 am #134948

Is it possible she made up your best friend asking her out so she wouldn’t have to flat-out reject you?

eddieb
    Participant
    May 1, 2017 at 11:04 am #134999

He’s your best friend and supportive. Did he get drunk and ask her out and not remember? Maybe. BOTH of them not remembering? Possible, but hmmm…

You can either drop it or wait till the “for now” period passes and ask her out or you can have have another conversation with your best friend. If he’s truly your best friend and you have a “crush” and he “half likes her”, he’ll get out of the way and play Wingman for you on this and talk to the girl, tell her he’s not interested in her, but that she should go out with you or however he handles these kinds of conversations.

Potentially awkward, sure, but like you said, you’re all adults, so you should be able to work this all out, but the other two have to work it out first (since they’re the ones who may or may not have had a conversation and may or may not have been drunk and may or may not remember) and you just wait till your best friend reports back to you. Your next move should be extremely obvious after that report.