Dating as an expat

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Dating as an expat

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 5:05 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

notsurewhattodo
    Participant
    September 29, 2015 at 7:02 am #86120
    Dating as an expat

I am currently living abroad in a country where I am not fluent in the local language, though I know enough to get by day to day. When I moved here I was still in a LTR but this has since ended. This was my first relationship to get very serious, but I now feel enough time has passed and would like to start dating again. However I am not the most confident individual when it comes to making the first move, and add to that some cultural and language differences and the whole task is rather daunting. I recently went on a few dates with a local girl introduced to me by a mutual friend and though it didn’t lead anywhere, found the whole thing a lot less stressful to deal with

As such, I was just hoping for some advice. Should I try my best to overcome my nerves and be more active in approaching people, or do I acknowledge my own shortcomings and pursue mediums where I wouldn’t have to make the first move such as blind dates, or internet dating?

Any advice would be much appreciated

xspinbadx
    xspinbadx
    Participant
    September 29, 2015 at 6:40 pm #86203

Hi,

Not sure which country you are in but if it’s anywhere in Asia, you’d best train yourself take a more assertive “leadership” approach as girls are really into that there. You should just work on getting comfortable in your own skin among women. Taking care of yourself physically is also important so if you’re not working out get on it atleast 3 times a week and starting making as many lady friends as possible to get advice/practice. you’ll be all right.