DATING ADVICE FORUM

dating dilemma- please help

Author
    Comments

• helpseeking
    Participant
    September 15, 2016 at 9:40 am #111474
    dating dilemma- please help

Hi am in my mid-thirties and have finally lined up a gay date with a girl that I think will be a quality person. I lost my mum 8 years ago to cancer. My parents divorced when I was younger, and despite trying a couple of times, couldn’t build a connection with my dad who has a severe mental illness. My sister and mum had a tumultuous relationship and became estranged when I was 16 which meant I also became estranged from her. I have no other family in the country I am living in. I am stable, have a job, a good education and in a good place in my life with good friends. I know how to handle this question in the workplace and meeting new people but what to tell a potential partner that expects honesty?

Question: What if I get this question on the first date- she asks me about what my family is like/ whether I have any siblings?
    i don’t want to unnecessarily send a red flag.

John61590
    Participant
    October 27, 2016 at 2:32 pm #115596

Just be honest or say half-truths if you feel uncomfortable speaking about it.

jonas
    Participant
    October 30, 2016 at 9:34 am #115771

if you mean to have a serious relationship with her, probably you dont want to tell all those detailed family things to her at the first date. You could just tell her part of the truth, like how many siblings you have and family members, but detailed stuff you can save for your third or fourth date when you have chance to make her know more about you. just be honest with her and dont lie, put focus on how you manage all these things and make her see clear who you are.