Dating when dealing w/childhood trauma–advice please?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 4:20 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

youzoububing
    youzoububing
    Participant
    March 19, 2016 at 6:08 pm #96088

Sooo this is a difficult topic for me to ask advice on, & I don’t wanna freak anyone out but I’d appreciate the honest advice & lack of judgment.
    In short, I have a *huge* problem around dating & hooking up due to being sexually abused as a kid. I’ve had a few hook ups & a brief relationship over the years, but at this point I’m a 28 y.o. man & still dealing w/trauma-related issues from my childhood.
    Being friends w/women is fine w/me, but I still deal w/shyness & anxiety when it comes to approaching chicks. Not only that, but I prefer to stay away from any physical contact w/ppl. I just met until I know them better (male or female). These 2 things (plus minor issues w/anxiety & depression) make it extremely hard to be confident & outgoing around women like the rest of my bros are.
    Lastly, I know this issue will come up quickly in any future relationships & I’m afraid any girl would either freak out or reject me cuz of this.
    I’m frustrated, lonely, & I’d appreciate any advice.

CalebAReynolds
    CalebAReynolds
    Participant
    March 21, 2016 at 7:26 pm #96173

I dated a girl who routinely was raped by her father growing up, would then force her to ingest narcotics so that she couldn’t live without him. Sometimes, while we would have sex, she would have a panic attack. We simply stopped, and she laid down in my arms and I squeezed her tight for an hour/hour and a half.

It’s just one of those things that will hurt for a long time- but it stops hurting when you get out of your comfort zone. Maybe warn your partners ahead of time and maybe you’ll be able to overcome it 🙂