Dating your best friends ex?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 1:59 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

justaguy24
    Participant
    February 19, 2013 at 11:42 am #23018

Really struggling with this, so any advice would be appreciated.

I’ve known this girl for close to 2 years. She is in my close group of friends and there has always been an attraction between us. Back in November I finally made the decision to go for it and we hit it off right away. I live about 1300 miles away from her, but I go back quite a bit for work. We talked every day and then in January we somehow got on the topic of the # of sexual partners we both have had. It was then that I found out that she had a “Friends with Benefits” sort of relationship with one of my closest friends for about a year. I had no idea about their relationship before we started talking. it ended over a year ago, and my best friend is now engaged to be married.

The fact that she wants a serious relationship with me, yet had casual sex with my best friend for over a year bothers me more than it should. We are completely different types of men, but I can’t help but think she is comparing me to him. She tells me she never felt this way about him, but she also tells me that there was a point in their casual relationship in which she thought she loved him.

Should I let it go or do I have reason to worry?

YouGuessedIt
    YouGuessedIt
    Participant
    February 20, 2013 at 4:47 pm #23253

We’ve all had crushes in the past and get over them because we realize they’re not the one. Not to mention your friend is happy with his new engagement. You are definitely putting the cart before the horse. If you always find a reason to not get close to someone because of your insecurities, I think you’ll find yourself very disappointed in people for nothing.

abbystheone
    Participant
    February 21, 2013 at 9:57 pm #23474

Here’s the thing…U really like her so none of the other stuff stuff should matter. What are you worried about? From what you said she has already told you how she felt. She loves you. Your friend is about to be married and happy. If everyone is happy then why worry? Unless her past with your friend bothers you and makes you unhappy…in which case you’re the one who needs to re-think if you can handle being with her after knowing all this.

hgreen
    hgreen
    Participant
    December 26, 2014 at 6:01 pm #69636

new here

PaulCooper818
    Participant
    December 27, 2014 at 4:54 am #69641

If she is happy in her new relationship right now, let her be.

Hank77
    Participant
    December 29, 2014 at 6:35 pm #69709

Let it go.

dsprimal
    Participant
    December 29, 2014 at 11:34 pm #69713

Dating your best friends ex is a bad idea in my opinion. 🙁

hottiemonique
    hottiemonique
    Participant
    December 30, 2014 at 4:53 am #69718

Let go or get into the consequences. You choose.

chloedermas
    Participant
    December 31, 2014 at 10:25 am #69752

So this girl was never in a serious relationship with your friend, I wonder why. I understand that things happen just because but I guess that is something you need to get over with.

Or maybe you can ask the friend of yours if he doesn’t mind you going with the girl. If he is engaged and really over the girl, maybe he won’t care. But once again, this is when you choose whether you don’t care and go for her or value your friendship so you can let it go.

peterhale221
    peterhale221
    Participant
    December 31, 2014 at 11:20 am #69761
    Reply To: Dating your best friends ex?

If she is serious then proceed.

Expat
    Participant
    December 31, 2014 at 11:47 pm #69769
    Reply To: Dating your best friends ex?

You’re thinking too much about it… I would date her and see were it leads. If you like her, go for it.