Dipping a toe into the water

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 6:07 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Bookworm115
    Participant
    February 23, 2016 at 9:19 pm #94218

I’m a professional woman (very early 30s) who is trying to get some more experience with dating. (Admittedly, my work and grad school schedule don’t leave much time for a lot of socializing.) I know that all the advice columns say “just go with it and put yourself out there.” The problem is, I’m finding that I’m really nervous about the prospect of going out on dates. Do any of you have any pointers on how to get over some of the nerves?

djames
    djames
    Participant
    February 24, 2016 at 2:43 pm #94296

This is going to be super unhelpful but you do have to Nike the situation and just do it. Once you realize how much fun it is to be out on a date, you’ll want to do it more. Try to start with a double date that makes for a great ice breaker. Also, keep this in mind, you’re not the only one with a packed schedule looking for love. Others are as well, so you’ll find someone eventually.

Bookworm115
    Participant
    March 6, 2016 at 9:15 am #95066

That’s the thing, I’m afraid – I’ve never been the sort of person who can “just do it.” I’m the kind of person who has to go in for a ton of advance planning and working out the logistics. (And I think that’s where I trip up when it comes to dating – I start getting into all the “what ifs.”)

But thanks for your reply – and the double date suggestion sounds like a good idea.

joyce
    Participant
    March 6, 2016 at 6:15 pm #95079

From your post it seems to me as if you are overthinking your possibilities and was relationships could turn out. I think it is important that you figure out what you actually want – do you just want to go on casual dates with more than one person or are you actually looking for dates that can turn into a serious relationship? Also try to avoid dating people who do not meet your standards. It is very important that you are conscious of yourself to avoid harmful dating.
    Once you come up with an answer, you will too come closer to the dating prospect as a whole.
    Next step would be to build up your confidence. Think of yourself as a vibrant young and successful woman, that deserves to be taken out on dates, she actually finds interesting and not scary. Soon you will find yourself at the right place and the right time with hopefully the right person 🙂