Do guys want to be single when their friends become single?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 3:44 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

sdiamond10
    Participant
    November 16, 2014 at 10:08 pm #67650

Just from experience when their guys friends get out of relationships, does it make them want to be single too? My boyfriend’s room mates recently became single after long relationships. Was wondering if this would make him want be influenced and be single too… any insight?

Roxy
    Roxy
    Participant
    November 17, 2014 at 9:04 am #67654

Well I’m not a guy but I have a few opinions on this. Yes it can influence some guys and want them to be single too. I find these usually are guys that are immature or tend to cheat(a couple of my guy friends fit this description unfortunately). The majority would just fill their new role as a wingman to be honest so doubt you have much to worry about. If you trust him I think it should be ok. When I was younger I was slightly envious of my single friends when I was the only one in a relationship but you get over it.

He will want to have his guys nights and play the wing man for his buddies so be prepared for that. But other than that if you have a good relationship with him and trust him should be all good:)

superal1966
    Participant
    November 17, 2014 at 1:45 pm #67688

The answer to this may very well depend on what stage of life a guy is at.

If we are talking about guys in their late teens and early 20’s (i.e. when it is possible a higher percentage of people will be single) then perhaps a man in a relationship could be jealous if he sees the majority of his friends living the ‘single life’ together.

As we grow up the tide turns and priorities change. People have commitments; whether this be a family, a mortgage or work commitments, and single life is different – not necessarily better or worse, different.

Another thing to take into consideration is that your boyfriend could be being supportive of his newly single friend in his hour of need; us men do need our friends in a time of crisis just as women do. Perhaps this could be perceived as wanting to live the single life with his friend, but as becca has said, as long as your trust him and understand that there will be time when he’ll want to spend with his friends, then things’ll be fine.

shadowcat162
    Participant
    November 17, 2014 at 2:05 pm #67691

No. His friends’ relationship situations won’t affect him. Me and my close friends have all been in relationships and single at different times, it never had an affect on what we wanted.

If he ever wants to be single, it’s because of something else.

JohanD
    Participant
    November 18, 2014 at 9:04 am #67695

Good question!
    My question is how good friends your boyfriend the roommates are? If they hang out and are good friends, there is no doubt it will affect him one way or another. If a roommate buys a Playstation, your friend will then probably want to play a little bit as well. If a friend of you buys an ice cream, it will probably make you want one more, although you didn’t want one… These things are completely natural, and difficult to avoid.

This has happened to me quite some times (friends getting single), and I started going out more with my friends. Of course you notice more girls when you go out, but how you will react on it depends purely yourself. That is, because I had a girlfriend a that time, I was just being a wingman and helping my friends out! I am a very honest guy and I am very conscious of how I react. And yes, I liked the attention I got as well.

If can go more in detail about the psychology if you have more specific questions…

JohanD
    Participant
    November 18, 2014 at 9:04 am #67709

The question first depends of how close friends they are. The closer, the more influence a friend has. Friends always have some effect to one extend ot another. If a roommate buys a Playstation, your friend will then probably want to play a little bit as well. If a friend buys an ice cream, it will probably make you want one more…

This has happened to me quite some times (friends getting single), and I started going out more with my friends. Of course you notice more girls when you go out, but how you will react on it depends purely on yourself. When I was going joining my single friends, I was usually a wingman as I had a girlfriend! I am a very honest guy and I am very conscious of how I react. But as well, I got some attention and as well I was hit on!

If can go more in detail about the psychology if you have more specific questions…