Do I have any chance of success in online dating?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 6:06 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Yodachoda
    Participant
    July 13, 2016 at 9:42 pm #105166

Hi all,

I’m a 28 y.o. male and I’ve got a kind of unusual life experience. Brief story:

During my early college years, I played online poker very very often and let it own my life. I switched schools due to bad grades. During my later college years, I got on a better track and managed to play live poker without it owning my life. US government shut down online poker so I switched to live, and it’s easier to control time spent playing if live. I graduated in the top ~15% of my class. Since graduating college (age ~24), I’ve been constantly “escaping” by playing live poker or playing video games in addition to working full time. Poker makes me forget about any life issues and completely numbs any emotional pain. 2 weeks ago, I won a “bad beat jackpot” of $95,000. Once in a lifetime event and a complete fluke. I’ve since decided to quit poker, which means no more forgetting issues in my life.

I’m SO late to the dating game…do I have any chance of online dating success?

dstmnd89
    Participant
    July 16, 2016 at 10:25 pm #105491

When I first tried online dating in 2011 I had no success. I tried again in late 2013 and the results weren’t much better. A few messages and dates but nothing ever came of it. Took a break for awhile and returned to it. I then found the girl of my dreams…

Just kidding, nothing happened again. My advice is to talk to people you know and see who can lead you to a possible date–long before attempting online dating. From my experience, I can tell you that it was a massive waste of time and energy, as well as psychologically taxing. In some instances, it wasn’t worth the money either.

Of course, then again, I haven’t had much luck overall with dating but I am no longer trying at the moment. I DID meet someone in January of 2014 that I completely adored, but she wanted nothing to do with me. Two dates (second was probably out of sympathy) and then I never heard from her again. Since then, I have had little interest in trying to find someone special.

nurhassanguiamelon
    nurhassanguiamelon
    Participant
    July 17, 2016 at 12:58 am #105493

sure