Guy asked me out for a first date! I need help

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 9:01 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

charlieeee
    Participant
    January 29, 2017 at 3:23 pm #124897

So i have been talking to this guy online for about a week now, i approached him first on the online dating app and he recently asked me out for a first date. He asked to pick a day that would work for me sometime, I offered him to meet up on Friday this week, he then responds saying he is busy that day because his family is coming to town so he asked me to go on a date on Saturday? Im confused… should say yes to Saturday or say Im busy and ask him for some other day. I feel i may come off as too strong or desperate if i say yes because I was the one who initiated the conversation. I need some advice. Thanks!

annabo88
    Participant
    February 1, 2017 at 12:14 pm #125312

Say yes to Saturday. You won’t come off as desperate because he was the one that asked you out on a first date in the first place! It’s clear that he wants to meet up with you since he has offered an alternative day. I say go for it!

richiro
    richiro
    Participant
    February 1, 2017 at 12:24 pm #125320

hmmm.. okay its your choice. do you want to portray an image? or have a date with the guy?
    if it were me.. i would say yes and get my foot in the door.. and if you have to set boundaries, set them later after you’re int the door.

a “i’m busy” may lose him forever b/c he will immediately tag you (and rightfully so) as a “game player” that would rather answer to play the game, then answer honetsly.

but that’s just me. i certainly undersatnd wanting to set boundaries early on – i am a big proponent of that. but doing it before you’re foot is in the door could quash it and that’s the danger you play for playing games a bit too early.

so it’s whatever is more of a priority and more important to you – see him, or set the boundary now.

charlieeee
    Participant
    February 22, 2017 at 10:49 pm #127902

That is very helpful…funny to think about this now because i ended not going on first date with this guy for other reasons. But your advice is very helpful for future first dates! Thanks!

charlieeee
    Participant
    February 23, 2017 at 8:59 am #127903

Thanks for the advice!