Have I got the wrong idea about this guy?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 12:46 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

redpoppy
    Participant
    February 15, 2015 at 7:08 am #73455

So I met this guy a few months ago, and I didn’t really care about him at first but he’s grown on me. I still don’t know if I actually like him romantically or not, but his behaviour is making me go crazy and more interested.

Basically, he’s been texting me more and more since december, most of the times with something stupid or funny, which makes me wonder if he was just looking for an excuse to text me, or if he just didn’t care and saw me as a buddy to send this kind of stuff. He texts and then disappears, texts and disappears.. and this is of course nerve wrecking. Either way, I’ve been feeling a little awkward and confused about “us”, because we don’t really know each other, so his attitude is a little “suspicious” to me. Two weeks ago he also invited me to drink and chat at his place, and we spent the entire time alone. I mean, I get boys and girls can be friends, but it’s too soon for me not to wonder if it’s more than friendship and too soon for me not to feel like it wasn’t a bit of a date. And it felt like it was one throughout the night, to be honest.

Anyway a couple of nights ago I was feeling so frustrated that I tried to make him think I was going out with a guy, in a subtle way though. I was actually going out with a guy, but just a friend! And I know it was stupid, and I don’t know what kind of reaction I expected, but I just did it. On the same day he mentioned a girl he is “going out with” and I kinda got shocked about it, as of course it’s a very bad sign (for me of course). The thing is, I’ve never heard about any girl before, and it’s weird that it popped out right after I hinted I had had a date, but I also feel ridiculous thinking that he’s making this up.

I’m just wondering if it’s all in my head or not, or if I’ve been friendzoned and I just haven’t realized it. Help?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  redpoppy.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  redpoppy.

redpoppy
    Participant
    February 15, 2015 at 9:56 am #73456

/sorry for the double post.

linda_zhang
    Participant
    February 15, 2015 at 2:49 pm #73468

I got a feeling that he likes you but is careful not too show too much interest upfront.

If I were you, I would ask about that girl that he’s going out with.. Keep it casual like you would ask your other guy friends about their love interests. Most likely he would ask you about the guy that you went out with, too, the other night.

amainara
    amainara
    Participant
    February 15, 2015 at 3:21 pm #73473

I think he made that up because you bring out the topic first. Men don’t like that.
    And I agree, it looks like he likes you (or at least he enjoys your company). He, himself, may not be sure about his feelings. Give him more time and let’s see.

redpoppy
    Participant
    February 16, 2015 at 11:56 am #73509

Thank you for your opinions 🙂 is it fairly common for guys (or people in general) to make this stuff up? I know I kinda did it, but I feel stupid for it now 😛 also, I’m afraid I’m being unrealistic when I think he was pretending ^^ I mean, is that really so likely? What are the chances? I guess I don’t have enough self confidence..

paul89
    Participant
    February 16, 2015 at 3:59 pm #73518

Next time you see him, try asking him a little bit about this girl he’s seeing. You should be able to find out A) If she actually exists and B) how serious they are. If he doesn’t go into too much detail about her, he could still like you and he just doesn’t want to make it seem as if he’s taken. The fact that he told you about this girl right after you told him about this guy strongly suggests to me that he’s trying to make you jealous, or at least let you know that he’s got options so that he can give you a gentle nudge in the right direction. Good luck.

redpoppy
    Participant
    February 24, 2015 at 12:11 pm #74046

Thank you guys! Case solved though, she does exist. Too bad. 🙂

Sami
    Sami
    Participant
    February 28, 2015 at 5:04 pm #74415

Yes, Redpoppy! It is very common that guys do make up they have someone for not looking like all alone and so on…
    I did it myself many times.

But why are you complaing (or sort of) since you did it yourself before?
    Look at it: he never mentioned a girl until you mentioned you were going out with a guy. Come on!

There are only two answers to it:
    1 – He only bluffed to not feel bad about it (and he is jealopus), or
    2 – He actually got some other girl out (because of what you said you did) and he realized that he should start trying his luck with other girls now.