Have I pretty much written myself out of dating with too many pets?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments

• garyl
    Participant
    April 14, 2017 at 9:09 pm #133360

I’ve struggled with dating even at my best times, and have struggled with aggravated depression in the past few years, so dating has been off the table for a while. I’ve also always had pets, and recently lost mine in an accident. So I adopted more. A lot more.

Do you think anyone would date a person who has 4+pets (cats in this case)

I’m still in a depression spiral of low self esteem, so my mind is still convincing me I’m not worthwhile to date, but sometimes my mind wanders, and I wonder if even IF I get better, would anyone date me?

asmith16499
    Participant
    April 17, 2017 at 7:54 am #133434

Personally I’d never have an issue with someone who had lots of pets, I would also say when you find that person you click with – if they are also an animal lover it would be something else to bond over

richiro
    richiro
    Participant
    April 17, 2017 at 12:21 pm #133453

depends on the person. i do actually use it as a red flag when somebody is a bit TOO into their pets (b/c it means they are using it as an escape from human intervention). my last gf, her dog went EVERYWHERE (i must admit.. i came to absolutely love and adore her dog).. but i MEAN EVERYWHERE. she would take hijm in when she showered, bathroom.. he was even with us when we had sex and we would have to fend him off at times.

So there is an “unhealthy level” when you start to replace our instinct for human interaction with pet interaction. They’re family, loved ones, and our best friends even – but they’re NOT humans either.

As for self-esteem, dating, etc. Everybody is dateable. Just got to find “yourself” and your self-esteem. Your identity. Your life. What makes you happy (besides pets). Life isn’t about how you can get everybdoy else to like you – thats a losing game. Life is about how you can get yourself to love your life and enjoy it. The rest falls in place after that.

garyl
    Participant
    April 17, 2017 at 5:56 pm #133462

Thank you for the replies, both of you. Reassures me some. I love my pets to death, but I don’t replace them for my human friends.

Depression has just made me very isolated and uneasy being around people as of late, but it’s only a recent development. Usually I love people.

Louis Richards
    Participant
    April 17, 2017 at 8:37 pm #133465

I think it depends on everyone

Nappa
    Participant
    April 23, 2017 at 9:52 pm #134106

Personally I’d find it more attractive if they had a lot of pets, and I think there are a fair number of people with this same mindset. There might be some people that dislike that, but I doubt they’d be worth dating if thats a part of their character.

Just keep going despite the depression, I often feel that isolation depression well but the day you start hanging out with people again, it helps a lot.

LAGIRL1996
    Participant
    April 26, 2017 at 6:03 am #134418

Yes, it’s great! It’s so cute when you are keen on pets!

DanielLee5
    DanielLee5
    Participant
    April 26, 2017 at 9:34 am #134437

I think it’s great!

garyl
    Participant
    June 9, 2017 at 9:15 am #138990

Thank you <3

deadcantdance
    deadcantdance
    Participant
    June 10, 2017 at 11:12 pm #139129
    Reply To: Have I pretty much written myself out of dating with too many pets?

Honestly, if your significant other has a problem with pets, they have problems with themselves.

garyl
    Participant
    June 12, 2017 at 9:10 am #138991

Thank you <3 I really appreciate it. I’m not getting rid of them. So I of course hope some people out there wouldn’t mind

labradoodle14
    labradoodle14
    Participant
    June 12, 2017 at 9:13 am #139138

I look like shrek and I have 4 cats and two dogs. I have no problem whatsoever. If the pets are dirty that’s an issue. Get an really good dander filter, then get a really good hair filter and you’re set.

cleb811
    Participant
    June 12, 2017 at 10:36 pm #139309

By experience girls love pets! I do not think that is gonna turn any girl off. She has to like you for who you are and you will find that girl.

RedRockChicka
    Participant
    June 13, 2017 at 9:31 am #139340

Written yourself off? Not at all! You have the perfect opportunity now to date someone who shares your love of animals. Really, you have a built in test of a potential mate’s character. If your animals are a deal-breaker, well, it’s better to know now versus when things get hot and heavy.