High School, how to become friends with a girl when you have no mutual friends?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 5:07 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

T
    Participant
    October 26, 2014 at 12:04 am #66558

So I’m a really shy guy, and I’m really bad at small talk; even with people I already know I have a hard time just having casual conversation about their day, life, etc.

Some background: I’m 16, in Grade 11, and there’s this girl in my Biology class that I have a huge crush on.

The teacher is really strict about talking and the girl sits just far enough away that talking quietly isn’t really an option (also we’re both in the front row so..). The only time I can talk to her is when we have a chill substitute and I’ve done that maybe twice, but they were just group conversations with other people about the note we were taking or somesuch.

I don’t have any other classes with her, the only other time I see her is after school in the cafeteria or library sometimes, but she’s usually with some of her friends that I don’t know, and like I said, I’m shy so I would have a hard time talking to her with them around.

T
    Participant
    October 26, 2014 at 12:04 am #66559

I need some help, I don’t know what to do :/ She’s been nice to me the couple times I’ve talked to her and we share a lot of the same interests (drawing is one of them) but I just can’t ever talk to her because I’m so shy/nervous. Advice please.

mattmando2
    Participant
    October 26, 2014 at 2:00 pm #66565

Not sure if this would seem creepy or not but maybe you could add her on Facebook and maybe start messaging her that way and then maybe you can get to know her a little better and then you’ll feel more comfortable to go up to her after class or something and talk to her and maybe find out if she wants to go to a school sports game or something so you can get to know her better. I’ve been like you and I’m 20 and still have trouble with shyness. You just kind of have to force your self to do it and once you do it most of the time it works out just fine. Good luck!

ek_soo
    Participant
    October 27, 2014 at 1:13 am #66577

This may or may not work… just before class starts, ask about the previous homework/quiz/test (whatever happened last). Whether you understood the questions or not, ask her about it. Pretend you didnt get the right solution and see if she would be willing to explain it to you. If she didnt get it either, try to relate it to some topic to continue the conversation. This way at least you have your foot in the door. Next time, you can do the same thing until you/she start speaking with each other more regularly.

JammerNumberOne
    Participant
    October 27, 2014 at 8:27 am #66560

You have nothing to lose. If you don’t try you don’t get the girl. If you try and fail you don’t get the girl. Just pretend to be another person. It will help you to adjust to talking.