How do I ask her out without ruining the friendship?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    September 9, 2017 at 11:49 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

tickets21
    Participant
    September 14, 2017 at 11:22 am #149021

I’ve known this girl for a few months now. I’m really into her but not sure if she is into me at all or even if she has a boyfriend. We go to the same college and I’m in one of her classes. We talk on a regular basis about our class and some other things, like normal friends, but there’s never been any indication by her or from me that there’s something beyond that. I feel afraid to ask her out because, sometimes, I feel like “why would she want to go out with me instead of some much better guy?” Also, I really want to be friends with her no matter what and I don’t want to ruin that by bringing this up. If I do end up asking her out, how? I’ve never been this into a girl before so I’m not sure what the best way is to go about it. Should I message her or does that make it seem like I’m too much of a coward? Should I go up to her and talk to her or does that not give her time to think/react appropriately? How can I do this so this so that the friendship isn’t ruined even if she says no?

tickets21
    Participant
    September 14, 2017 at 11:24 am #149022

For further context/reference, I vaguely know her brother (but not really, we haven’t really talked much) and I know some of her friends but not any of her female friends (only male friends, and it might be a bad idea to talk to her male friends about it for obvious reasons).

Also, her birthday is coming up soon. Should I bring this up before her birthday?

bell282
    Participant
    September 14, 2017 at 8:01 pm #149113

I would ask her to study together and get to know her better… or ask her to meet for a drink and see where it goes.

Jeremy23422
    Participant
    September 17, 2017 at 12:51 pm #149286

I think you just answered your own question. “there’s never been any indication by her or from me that there’s something beyond that.” Unless she is a complete wallflower, a woman will absolutely let you know if she is interested. Does she flirt with you? Show a lot of interest in you and what’s going on in your life? Ever hint that she wants to spend one-on-one time together?

If not, my instinct would be save the friendship and move on. Just to spare yourself the rejection.