How do I end this the right way?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 8:04 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

so_confused
    Participant
    July 21, 2014 at 12:31 am #57844

I’ve been dating my boyfriend for a bit more than 4 months. Lately I haven’t felt the same towards him any more. He is constantly telling me how much he loves me, how we’re going to get married right after high school and how right after high school I’m going to move in with him, and we’ll be together forever. He’s going so fast even after i asked if we could take things slower. So lately I’ve just been avoiding him and ignoring most of his texts, his friends even see what’s happening between us but he won’t even listen to them he’s so in love it’s crazy. I’ve tried to break up with him already but it didn’t go so well. I told him I’m not happy any more and I want to break up. But he just told me we’re not breaking up and we’ll just take a break for a bit, which he hasn’t even been doing. He’s still constantly texting/calling and asking to hang out. How do I break up with him for good? He is very emotional so it’s really hard to do. What should I say?

Sayka22
    Participant
    July 21, 2014 at 1:18 pm #57883

He’s gonna be so crushed and heartbroken it’s not even funny. But I totally get how you feel. It’s a pain in the ass when the guy just doesn’t get it. But you don’t wanna let him go. Just sit down and try to knock some sense into his head. Eventually he will get it. He sounds like a keeper hun. If he goes away you’ll miss him too for sure and then that’s when guys turn into a**holes. When a girl treated them wrong.

HarmlessThunder
    HarmlessThunder
    Participant
    July 23, 2014 at 8:27 pm #58088

I can see how he’s a bit ‘too much’ like clingy or whatever BUT he definitely sounds like one of the ‘good guys’. I can pretty much guarantee you might meet a guy who won’t treat you as well as him, because there are so many more mean guys out there than there are nice guys.

What exactly is the reason you haven’t felt the same way about him anymore? Because if it’s only due to him being clingy, that is fixable, he just needs to learn how and you would need to be patient.

Love is all about being understanding and sticking with someone when they are having trouble dealing with something. Of course there are exceptions to the rule where you have to break it off such as not being in love anymore or cheating, but yeah.

jt94
    Participant
    July 24, 2014 at 2:19 am #58093

Dam this sounds like a guy version of my ex gf. No relationship ever ends easy or at least any I have ever had\seen. My ex gf and I dated off amd on for a year amd she started the same thing that u have said and to be honest it kinda scared me and so I told her I needed time to think but she continued to text me every 30 minutes so I broke up with her and ti tought that she was madly in love with me but the next day she changed she was already hunting another guy. Posting pics of herself in bikinis on her fb. Idk if she was doing it to try in make me jealous or what but idk if ur not happy with him just break it off. Its hard ik trust me but u only live once and so does he. Hope this helped…m but I suck at advice….

SweetChameleon14
    Participant
    July 24, 2014 at 8:39 am #58089

Seeing as how you’re only in high school, I COMPLETELY understand the need to break free (not just due to a lack of love on your part). Unfortunately, doing so will make you “the bad guy” in everyone’s eyes (his, friends, anyone he tells lol).

You’re just going to have to do it. You’ve already tried the nice approach, but in this case, being blunt is the best way. You would have to cut ALL communication (if that means blocking his number for a while just so your phone isn’t constantly ringing/vibrating, so be it). He seems genuinely sweet, albeit WAY to clingy. He will get over it. Will he be crushed? Of course! Who isn’t when their heart is broken? However, you cannot stay with him out of pity, you’ll make yourself miserable.

so_confused
    Participant
    July 24, 2014 at 5:21 pm #58177

Thank to you so much for all the advice guys! It means a lot! I’m just going to break up with him next time I see him. I’m just not in love with him anymore, I totally understand he’s a good guy. But him being extremely clingy and thinking we’re going to spend eternity together when in reality were just in high school drive me away from him. And on top of that, all my family and friends hate him because he’s such a bad influence on me. Most of the stuff he does for fun is just immature and always gets him in trouble with the law.