How soon is "too soon" to start dating after being widowed?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    November 11, 2017 at 10:12 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

oregongal
    Participant
    July 12, 2014 at 10:45 pm #57333

I feel like I can answer other people’s questions, but not my own. I was widowed 2 months ago when my husband of 37 years passed away from cancer. I loved him very much. At the same time I miss being in love. It’s an awesome thing.

I having been checking out the online dating sites – out of curiosity I put up a profile and waited to see what would happen.

I have had men express interest in me and suggest a meeting. Like over coffee. This excites me and scares me to death at the same time. I am almost 60 and haven’t “dated” in almost 40 years!

Part of me is open to the new experience and getting to know someone and part of me is feeling nervous and somewhat guilty.

I don’t want to talk to anyone I know about it just yet, as I am kind of embarrassed to admit that I have been looking…

So, what do you think?

CadenceMarcl
    Participant
    July 17, 2014 at 11:05 am #57651

I think you should just go for it. Everyone deserves happiness. You shouldn’t be any embarrassed at all.

fashiongirl
    Participant
    July 17, 2014 at 10:36 pm #57714

go for it

Nate14
    Participant
    July 17, 2014 at 11:13 pm #57719

No doubt. If you think you are interested in the person, go for it!

jenny12345
    Participant
    July 18, 2014 at 1:50 am #57721

If you are questioning if you are ready yet, it probably means that you aren’t. Be social, join a club or take a class and see how you feel after. In time you will feel more confidant in answering your own question and will know you truly are ready.

whosthatguuurl
    Participant
    July 19, 2014 at 11:28 am #57820

I’m sure he’d want you to be happy. Once you’re ready to start dating, go for it.

cab3110
    Participant
    July 20, 2014 at 9:39 pm #57841

It varies for everyone, and maybe dating won’t mean immediate happiness. My advice is to be just plain careful with your own emotions in this situation.