How to be more open? should I come out to my best friend?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 8:09 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

hopelessromantic012
    Participant
    August 7, 2016 at 11:33 pm #107747

I’m 22 years old and it takes me forever to finally tell girls that I like them. I waited so long to tell the girl I currently like how I felt, that’s now she’s in a relationship with someone else. and I feel so stupid because I always do it. she told me that if I would be more open about my sexuality(only select people know I’m a lesbian) and if I don’t look for love I’ll find it. it’s so hard for me to tell people that I like them because, I always used to get laughed at or have it thrown back in my face. and when I say I’m out to select people, I mean couple friends and that’s it. No one in my family knows, hell my best friend doesn’t know (and he’s gay too). I went to tell that I’m a lesbian, but he gossips a lot (it’s not as bad since we got out of high school). I would tell him, but he works to this grocery my mom shops to; and I’m afraid that he will tell her that I’m a lesbian. I don’t think my mom would care (she has gay friends)

hopelessromantic012
    Participant
    August 7, 2016 at 11:33 pm #107748

but I would feel awkward because I still live at home and it might be different having a gay child. how can I be more open about my sexuality? should I tell my best friend that I’m gay? what should I do? any tips or ideas are welcome

adviceseeker43
    Participant
    October 23, 2016 at 9:31 am #114974

Telling your best friend can be both the best thing and the scariest person you can come out to. If she’s your best friend, she will love you unconditionally. Coming out and having that go to person who you can be yourself around is totally worth it! If it doesn’t work out , she’s not your “best” friend. Good luck!

Ashling
    Participant
    October 24, 2016 at 9:20 pm #115146

This is tough to respond to because I’m straight and don’t want to assume that I know the struggle, but in lieu of not trying to help at all, my advice would be to try and gain strength from people who have been through it before. Maybe there is some kind of online group (or even just YouTube videos) you can get involved in to give you courage. It may be really hard, but I’ve never heard of someone regretting coming out. (Maybe they regret how they went about it, but generally it seems like people are happier when they feel they can be truthful about who they are to who they care about!