How to keep him interested without pushing him away

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 9:24 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

KittyCat
    Participant
    July 16, 2016 at 2:14 am #105444

I just had a great first date with a guy that I met online. I am 20 and haven’t dated before, not really intentionally, I just have always been very driven and focused on developing my future. To put it bluntly, I am entering my senior year of college but I’m very talented and accomplished in my field. I’m confident in my skills and my future and haven’t yet found someone who is also in that same mindset, until now. He’s a few years older and has a great job that he’s passionate about. And he’s a gentleman, like an opens car doors type. I have always been so independent that even that feels weird and he commented on the fact that I just got in and out of the car, it just never occurred to me that he would want to open the door. In the passed, I’ve gone out with guys once or twice and then things fizzle out. I know I push them away, often unintentionally, with my independent streak. I don’t want that to happen this time, as I would really like to get to know him better. Any advice?

KittyCat
    Participant
    July 19, 2016 at 1:23 pm #105793

So, he did respond late the next night, basically saying he had a great time too, update me on his day, asked about mine, then mid conversation disappears again and haven’t heard anything since. He hasn’t opened the message yet (leaves his read receipts on). The sporadic texting is pretty typical of the pattern the whole time we’ve been talking, just not for several days. I’ve left it be at this point but there’s a chance he genuinely hasn’t checked it so I’m consider just sending a hey, did that go through? message and seeing what happens. Thoughts?

Rocky5
    Participant
    July 20, 2016 at 8:51 am #105821

Sounds like a matter of your individual state of mind. I think ( My opinion) the easiest way to approach the situation is spend enough time to develop an emotional bond. Admittedly , independent personality types are aware that their behavior is somewhat narrow in margins of interpersonal communication. I think you should focus on strengthening your interpersonal communication skills through your interaction or invested interaction with this person if your intention is to date them.