I need a guy's point of view on "taking things slow"

• October 8, 2016 at 9:27 am #113518

I’m a 31 year old female. I recently started dating a 27 year old – he’s smart, finishing his doctorate, good sense of humor, close with his family, and I like spending time with him.

On our third date, things progressed a little more physically than either of us had planned. We went out again last night, and over dinner he said he wants to see me again, we made a firm date next week, but he said things moved too fast physically and he wants to take things slow. I got a sweet good night kiss at the end of the night, and I went home. The rational side of me is saying I don’t need to panic, he still wants to see me, and we’ll just take a step back with the physical. The emotional side of me is worried that I’m missing something.

From a guys point of view – what’s happening here?

October 8, 2016 at 8:18 pm #113531

Ah. This is easy. Men are/ can be terrified of commitment. Deciding to actually share our lives with another person both emotionally and physically is hard for us because we wonder if we’re doing what we really want to do. It sounds like he enjoys your company. Just ease into it. Hang out. Do normal stuff. Not everything has to be a romantic, passionate fueled adventure. In the long run that stuff fades away. Show him that you can be his best friend before showing him romance. That’ll make this decision far easier for him.