I want to break up, but I'm afraid of what she might do to herself

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 6:34 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

ConflictedCucumber
    Participant
    July 6, 2015 at 4:06 pm #82044

I am 18 and about to leave for college, and my current girlfriend is 16. I have been with her for about a year and a half now. She is severely depressed and doesn’t have a strong relationship with her family or many friends. I really do care about her, but I don’t want to continue the relationship. My leaving for college is not creating a huge distance for us to bridge, but it is still significant. Not only this, but I’ve also met another girl who will be closer to me and whom I believe can make me happier (it is worth noting that she acts interested but has declared nothing).
    My biggest problem here is that, like I said, my girlfriend is severely depressed and doesn’t have very strong ties to many other people. I have even had to talk her out of suicide before, and she has told me upfront that I am sometimes her only reason to live. If I were to break up with her, I’m afraid of what she might do. I don’t want her to get hurt. Please help me.

ConflictedCucumber
    Participant
    July 6, 2015 at 4:07 pm #82045

It is also worth noting that my current girlfriend and the new girl are friends – albeit not very close – and that their parents are very close friends.

Follow-up question: Am I a bad guy?

Mr Clean 88
    Participant
    July 10, 2015 at 7:42 pm #82631

Fake your own death and assume a new identity. But seriously, you cannot hold yourself responsible for what someone else does. When you break it off with her, be firm and make it clear that it’s over. If she threatens suicide, contact the authorities. People that generally do that are only doing so to exercise some form of control over you, but not always. Also might want to let her parents know afterwards so they can keep an eye on her.