I'm trying to make sense of GF's dating history to see what our future could be

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 9:27 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

shadowcat162
    Participant
    November 17, 2014 at 8:42 am #67657

I’m trying to make sense of my girlfriend’s dating history, because I think it’s a bit unusual. I’m trying to get a sense if she’s the faithful type. I think she’s a good person, but I’ve never met anyone with a past like hers:
    She’s a virgin (not that it matters to me, i’ve had sex before), she’s had 4 official boyfriends (the longest relationship was 14 months, the rest were 2-4 months), in between her boyfriends, she’s done a lot of casual dating and hooking up(everything except sex, from what she tells me).
    In her longest relationship (her first) she said she wasn’t that into him and didn’t know why she dated him, but eventually cheated on him by hooking up with someone else while she was traveling. She told her boyfriend when she got back and they broke up.
    After that, her relationships were short, but they were monogamous, she broke up with them when she was no longer interested.
    (see my comment for rest of story)

shadowcat162
    Participant
    November 17, 2014 at 8:43 am #67658

But between her relationships, she hooked up with a lot of guys. I’ve never asked for a number or wanted details, but when we were discussing our pasts she said she’s been with “more guys than you would guess”. Her last relationship ended in May and she was dating someone casually in august, then met me at the end.
    I don’t know what to make of her past. Does she seem like the type of girl who would cheat? I think she’s waiting for marriage to have sex (i do believe she actually is a virgin), but i don’t know what her behavior could be like in the future.
    She also said “she never wanted to be with just one guy, until she met me”…now i would expect her to say that about me, but the whole “never wanting to be with just one guy” part was a little weird to me.
    Current facts: We’ve been seeing each other since end of august and became official in the beginning of October. She has a bunch of guys friends. (continued)

shadowcat162
    Participant
    November 17, 2014 at 9:04 am #67661

She has a bunch of guys friends. Many of her guy friends are guys who were more than just friends at one point. We had a talk about this, and about how I’m not comfortable with her being alone with them and about how i don’t think it’s appropriate for her to do that. She actually agrees and says this is something that will stop.
    What do you guys think of her? It’s hard for me to look at this objectively.

haha sorry for long post, but i really appreciate your input! 🙂

shadowcat162
    Participant
    November 17, 2014 at 9:05 am #67666

(contined)She has a bunch of guys friends. Many of her guy friends are guys who were more than just friends at one point. We had a talk about this, and about how I’m not comfortable with her being alone with them and about how i don’t think it’s appropriate for her to do that. She actually agrees and says this is something that will stop.
    What do you guys think of her? It’s hard for me to look at this objectively.

Roxy
    Roxy
    Participant
    November 17, 2014 at 10:12 am #67679

In all honesty it could have been a phase. I know it sounds odd but I have a friend that did the same. She cheated on a bf, he wasn’t very nice
    and then was casually seeing guys after that and wasn’t interested in a committed relationship. She actually looks back now and can’t believe she was like that.

I think the cheating thing may play on your mind and the fact that guys she’s been more than friends with are still on the scene. You have to ask yourself is this going to be a problem for you? is it going to make you doubt her and always have that in the back of your mind?

Everyone has a past and I think that it’s great that she’s been honest with you but sometimes people can’t get past that. If she’s a nice girl and you’re really interested and she seems genuine why not give it a go:)