Is he interested or just being friendly?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    September 9, 2017 at 11:50 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Naomi
    Participant
    August 20, 2017 at 2:01 pm #146199

I work in a shop as a seasonal worker, and have a little crush on a guy who’s a regular customer. He’s also a seasonal worker, from another country than me. He always chooses my checkout counter even if there’s a longer queue, we always talk and he smiles a lot at me, and holds my gaze for a little longer. We work in a really small town, and both of us work a lot. I feel like I have to keep it professional at work, so can’t give him my number or anything. And I don’t want to make it awkward for him, don’t even know if he’s single. I’m working with my ex, and we spilt up just a few weeks ago, so I’m not sure if he knows I’m single either. Afraid that this could be holding him back. Just met him ouside the shop on my day off. He seemed happy to see me, and asked me a few questions. I asked him if he was working, he said no, but that he was really tired, we said our goodbyes, and my heart sunk. He’s leaving soon too. Is he the tiniest bit interested, or should I just forget him?

Jill B
    Jill B
    Participant
    August 23, 2017 at 4:25 am #146581

Everything depends on WHAT DO YOU REALLY WANT? A short affair with this guy (since he will soon be leaving) or a long term relationship? How much are you prepared to sacrifice for this guy? Another thing which I find a bit bothersome, you have just come out of a relationship and seem TOO eager to jump into another one. Has this got anything to do with your ex? If this guy really likes you then he could be the shy type and you’ve got to do extra work like lead him on or boldly ask him what he likes doing after work. Suggest some activity and see how he responds. Try and find out if he is not married. A wife back home? Be careful.

taylorb111
    Participant
    August 23, 2017 at 12:49 pm #146650

If you feel that there’s a connection between you two somehow, I would be bold and ask him for his number or out for dinner or drinks before he returns home. If you are unsure and want him to make a move, I would do just that. Wait. If there’s a connection of some sort, he will likely make a move before he leaves town.

Naomi
    Participant
    August 24, 2017 at 10:36 am #146822

Thanks for all replies! I don’t want a rebound or fling (ex and I were over a long time before we broke up btw). I’m just afraid that my ex’s presence in the shop is holding this new guy back (if he even knows). I just want a chance to get to know this guy more before he leaves. I feel like there’s sparks, and want to see if it can go anywhere. But it’s stressful when there’s a long queue behind him and I feel like we’re always cut short. The other day I approached him in the shop, and he seemed keen to talk. He asked again when I’m leaving town. I’ve told him before that I want to go to travel in Europe this fall, and he’s also going there. So now he asked me if I had booked any tickets yet, and which countries I wanted to visit. Turns out he wants to visit some of the same countries, but he’s travelling with a (male) friend. Not once has he mentioned a girlfriend and I’m too afraid to ask him. He also asked me if I rent an apartment in town (he shares one with his work mates)….

Naomi
    Participant
    August 25, 2017 at 9:55 am #146827

…Then he asked me about what I was going to do after work that evening, but then we got interrupted and I had to go back to working. So I never found out if this was an indirect way of asking if I wanted to hang, or just friendly small talk..? Also, one of his work mates has jokingly told me that I’m “famous” at their work place for being so nice. So he must have talked about me in some way, as it’s mainly him doing the shopping. Are these are signs he likes me? I’m kind of waiting for a “green light” to ask him out, but I’m so insanely nervous around him and sometimes get completely tounge tied. Is it lame to ask him to go for a walk or something (he’s quite the sporty type)? I’m just so afraid of getting turned down, as I will still have to face him at work.

tabsss234
    Participant
    August 25, 2017 at 10:31 am #146948

Just ask him if he’s interested in doing something. Better to find out the truth rather than wondering what could’ve been.