Is it too early to talk about marriage

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 8:27 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

DatingInlove
    Participant
    May 14, 2016 at 10:05 am #100400

Hi all… I’m reading the topics here but I didn’t have a story till now…
    I met one guy around 3 months ago… We are so happy and inlove but he asked me what I’m going to do if he asks me to marry him….
    I’m so happy and same time I’m scared because we just started our relationship…
    Is it too early to talk about this??? And what do you think I should do If he asks me???

Lol234
    Participant
    July 17, 2016 at 3:19 am #105501

He sounds very committed, but you got a point. Personally what I would say is probably wait until you’ve dated him for half a year or go on as many dates as you can, until then. I only started my first relationship last year, and within a few weeks we already agreed to marry after we graduate from college. But of course we got to know each other, there were some agreements and some fights, but overall it was alright.

I would tell him to wait if you really feel you’re not ready yet, or plan your future together so that talking about marriage becomes easier.

jprich16
    Participant
    July 17, 2016 at 1:12 pm #105510

way to early, iw ould be scared off. i would live with them for 6 months at least first but im old fashioned!

Rocky5
    Participant
    July 18, 2016 at 2:50 am #105536

Speaking from prior experience, I would have to say its extremely early. Marriage works best when you’ve learned how to deal with the emotional changes your significant other experiences and when they have learned how to deal with yours outside of the first few months of dating . It’s best to see how someone reacts when they are mad, upset, angry and when you have seen them outside of being happy to gauge the ranges, frequency and general attitude that person expresses. Sounds like a nice relationship so far.
    From what I gather you only know the happy disposition of your significant other. I don’t know if your living together but some things to consider are

A.) you get to know someone when you do live together – The “unfiltered” version. I believe you should live with someone prior to marriage to determine whether or not you could live with them.
    B.) time is a necessity when it comes to your relationship dynamics. My humble opinion.

JuelzSantana
    Participant
    July 19, 2016 at 10:57 am #105764

Wtf? Stop right now and come back down to Earth.

Three months is literally crazy. And I mean that in every literal sense of the word.

Do. Not. Do. That.

fool4luv
    Participant
    September 2, 2016 at 10:32 am #110409

It is way too early!! I made that mistake. It never works.

DaydreamerVi
    Participant
    September 2, 2016 at 12:19 pm #110419

Love always find a way. Like a plant that grows, the more time you spend and not rush to tie things. You will see that you both wouldnt want anything else but eachother anyway. It’ll happen

myan
    Participant
    September 19, 2016 at 2:11 am #111776

look through his eyes to see if he really means it, and ask yourself do you really love him, and want to stay with him for the rest of your life?? Follow your heart.

josephddiazz
    Participant
    September 20, 2016 at 8:45 am #111859

I think sometimes you just know. When it is right, it is right. But for the most part there is a very low percentage of couples that have a long lasting happy marriage when they get married TOO early on in the relationship.
    There is no rush. Enjoy your relationship. It is just a label. Maybe consider moving in together but don’t rush it. It is not a negative thing but why rush it.

sebastianhighlander
    Participant
    September 21, 2016 at 2:43 am #112046
    Reply To: Is it too early to talk about marriage

Don’t be afraid to talk about your commitment to each other, but labeling it as marriage and following through with all that entails may be too much, too fast. It’s important to truly know a person before making such a huge leap.

Biphoo
    Participant
    September 23, 2016 at 8:42 am #112262

yes, it is too early you should first understand him fully because sometimes it happened that he might have hidden his reality.

cecilycardew91
    Participant
    May 6, 2017 at 11:18 am #135616

I think that is never to early if your is true love

cecilycardew91
    Participant
    May 6, 2017 at 11:18 am #135617

I think that is never too early if your is true love

GSwayne
    Participant
    May 7, 2017 at 12:00 pm #135625

As far as talking about it, I think it’s natural in a newer relationship to see a bright future ahead. It’s healthy and sometimes fun to just talk about what your dream wedding/home is as long as you both understand it’s for fun. Now if he’s prodding for an answer that’s something completely different. First off, when a guy (or gal) asks, it shouldn’t be like rolling the dice. You should be 99% if not 100% certain before asking. The “asking” part is more of a formality and traditional. That being said, I wouldn’t look too much into it, he may just be trying to gauge how seriously you’re taking the relationship. But I agree with a lot of others. Some people it takes 3 years, some 3 days. It’s all about you and your partner

irreverent90
    Participant
    May 8, 2017 at 5:41 pm #135715

It would be too early for me to have that discussion, however I think it depends on the particular relationship. I will say that being open and up-front about what you are looking for in a relationship is a good thing.

1 2