Keeping the spark in long distance correspondence…

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 6:36 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

pdxchickadee
    Participant
    September 9, 2013 at 7:21 am #38408

I recently re-connected with a guy I dated back home almost two years ago via an online dating site. I am living abroad in Bali for the next 10 months. We have been writing emails back and forth every few days for about two weeks now. The question is… How do I keep the spark going in a ‘pen pal’ long distance type correspondence for 10 months? It seems impossible..but there was a spark when we dated before…so I guess I’m hoping. So far it has been through shared interests, asking questions, and sharing stories. Do I suggest Skype or chat date or do I wait for him to suggest it? I need advice! Please help! Thanks everyone!

potlucky
    potlucky
    Participant
    September 19, 2013 at 2:18 pm #39295

skype is great but if u guz have macs i would recomend facetime. there are all these funny filters and video types that stretch your face or something crazy and they are fun to use and laugh with each other. you can do it!

cece607
    Participant
    September 19, 2013 at 2:21 pm #39300

Hi there! Skyping is a must! Be bold and suggest it. I would try for about twice per week, for thirty minutes or so. I am in this same situation. It is extremely difficult to maintain a long distance relationship. My guy game to visit me here in London, and the whole time he was here, I was busy studying for an exam so I did not get time to spend with him. I felt like it was impossible too, plus I only have internet for about 6 hours per day when I was at the University. Taking photos and sharing our lives abroad really helps. I was also glad to be able to still connect with him because it made me feel still connected to the states. We are still talking and interested in eachother, and I think talking twice per week really helps! Good luck rekindling the spark. Please let me know if you find any tips to do so, because I could really use the advice too!

betsy588
    Participant
    September 19, 2013 at 2:44 pm #39337

skyping is a must and if you guys really like each other try some flirty things. It could be fun to send him flirty texts, messages, letters, videos if you guys are going to be together when you get back. Dont take it to far but make it flirty and sweet. He will like that!

pdxchickadee
    Participant
    September 19, 2013 at 7:01 pm #39378

Thank you so much for the advice. Unfortunately I sent him two email last week, one suggesting a Skype date, the other with a pic attached … I haven’t heard from him since. I’m back to feeling lonely in Bali. I know it’s a island paradise, but I miss home and dates!
    Anyway, thank you for the great advice. Good luck in London cece607! I hope you keep the spark alive!

daniellem87
    daniellem87
    Participant
    November 5, 2013 at 8:06 am #42449

I’m in a long distance relationship. I live in America and he lives in England. We have been together for 9 months now. Things have been quite difficult and we miss each other terribly but we are always making plans. I think that’s key. You have to find things to look forward to. Suggest a Skype “date” at a certain time and day. Make plans to meet up and talk about what you’re going to do together when you do finally meet with each other in person. I think keeping communication going is key. Good luck and I hope everything works out

pdxchickadee
    Participant
    November 8, 2013 at 8:53 pm #42649

Thanks Daniellem87, great advice. I’m trying to keep the communication going, but I admit, it’s not easy. It’s difficult sometimes to remain optimistic. Correspondence from his side is a bit spotty, so I’m not sure we will make it for the next 8 months. I know, however, that this is good information as well. If it cannot survive this time away, it’s not the right match for me. Good luck with yours, it sounds much more solid than mine!

Dominicka
    Participant
    November 9, 2013 at 7:00 am #42651

My BFF is doing the long distance thing and it is working out so well for her. The guy is head over heels for her and the sparkle is on even though their mean time is 3 hours of convo daily!! It is a bit difficult but you def can manage. And the general rule of thumb is to keep the skype dates short and sweet (unlike my BFF lol). You’ll both look forward to seeing each other again.