Kicked out for coming out

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 6:24 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

C. Price
    C. Price
    Participant
    February 8, 2013 at 11:12 am #22187

Hey everyone! Brooke needs some help, can anybody give her some advice?

I have been interested in women since I can remember, but, I didn’t acknowledge it until last year. I couldn’t hide it anymore so I talked to and came out to a good friend who is also a lesbian. Most everyone I have come out to have accepted it, and some were even like, “it’s about time!” The problem lies with my family and surrounding community. I am from a religious family and all, and I was kinda forced to come out when I wasn’t ready to. Well, I was threatened with being kicked out, disownment, etc. therefore, I ha to go back in the closet. I have to pretend that I like guys, and that when I go out with a girl it’s just a “girl’s night.” I can’t keep living like this, it making me depressed. I can’t afford to be kicked out out and all because I am a college student, and my family and I were once close, I hate to lose them. I keep saying that when I can finally move out it will be fine. I really don’t know how to handle the situation.
    -Brooke
    Please help!!!!!

SandraDee
    SandraDee
    Participant
    February 8, 2013 at 12:08 pm #22201

That’s crazy you were forced to be straight!! I mean thats just ridiculous!

Find some local LGBT community groups and join LGBT clubs on campus and become educated. No use in hiding at all.

You don’t need to live a double life. If your family doesn’t like it then don’t bring it up until you’re strong enough to stand before them and say you’re a gay woman. If that means taking your time, saving some money and finding a new job to pay for an apartment of your own, then DO it.

your parents are just stubborn and don’t understand, be mature about it and find a way to get them to see things from your POV. Don’t rush it, you were already rushed before and that didn’t work well for you so take your time!

genesis58
    Participant
    February 11, 2013 at 6:28 pm #22350

I agree with sandra. There’s no point in fighting this if you’re too young to stand up against your parents financially. Read up and prepare yourself for a debate, you need to be ready to tell them that your choices shouldn’t be changed based on whatever idea they have on what’s right or wrong wen it comes to who you love.

kellyanne
    kellyanne
    Participant
    February 12, 2013 at 9:54 am #22378

How do you pretend to like guys long enough to where others won’t obviously notice? I think it’ll hurt you in the long run if you keep pretending so don’t avoid/ignore this and try your hardest to fix it…and by fix it I mean work on yourself, not what others think!

mixerz77
    mixerz77
    Participant
    February 14, 2013 at 12:50 pm #22755

Brooke honey, this is no time to go back in that damned closet! I can see where you may be in a sticky situation since it seems like you can’t move out but the ladies have a point. Although you don’t want to rebel against your family and lose their trust, you can still come out as a powerful young woman, who fights for justice no matter who disagrees with you.

bubblyjo
    bubblyjo
    Participant
    March 13, 2013 at 5:54 pm #25860

Classic case of our parents pulling the mom and dad card. Threatening your life choices because you don’t “fit in” in their eyes so they give you an ultimatum. I say you find a job and move out. Why live in constant guilt. You should be free to enjoy your life and not let anyone hold you back.

WhitneyR
    WhitneyR
    Participant
    April 30, 2013 at 6:33 pm #30116

That’s wild! Well get away from there! You should never intentionally stay somewhere you know is bad for your emotional health. Don’t stay where you’re depressed!