"Let's hang out"…."Um let's not…" How Should I Decline Such Vagueness?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    November 11, 2017 at 10:15 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Awkwardallthetime
    Participant
    April 2, 2015 at 11:51 pm #76615

Can we all agree that “let’s hang out” are the three worst words in the English language? One of my teammates from my senior capstone project asked if I wanted “to hang out outside school” and wouldn’t take the “I’m so busy right now!” as an excuse. He said he meant this weekend and asked if I like scary movies so I am thinking this is enough for me to potentially assume this is an attempt on asking me on a date. I don’t want to go out with him, so I’m wondering what I can say in the nicest/most tactful/least harmful to my grad requirement way as possible. Possible responses:

1.) “What do you mean by hang out?” But is that too on the nose? setting myself up to look conceited?
    2.) “I actually decided to go home for Easter after all.” This is a lie but maybe buys some time?
    3.) “By ‘right now’ I just meant in general while I’m sorting out what to do after college.” This is my favorite and I feel reinforces the previous hint.

What do you think? Guys, why do you ask us this?

Dom_KSL
    Dom_KSL
    Participant
    April 13, 2015 at 8:34 am #77074

Its a hedge to see if you might be interested without risking flat out rejection……or he just thinks your cool and wants to hang out. Either way just be honest and sincere in whatever you say to him. It may sting a bit, but it works out better in the end.

jasminem143
    jasminem143
    Participant
    April 16, 2015 at 3:27 pm #77395

Haha. Concur. Let’s not, is valid. Short and sweet. You’re awarding him as is. At least yours is vague in return and not upon initiation.

Anonymous
    April 17, 2015 at 3:46 pm #77496

Sexy brunette 26 years worked fine body and perfect breasts I want to make new friends in the largest social network for dating. Send me an e-mail to: sexybadgril69@gmail.com