Living at Home: Dating Disaster?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 8:35 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

LWFB93
    Participant
    January 17, 2015 at 1:30 pm #71199

Title sums it up. I live at home with my parents currently due to my financial situation. I love my family and their support, but it sucks. I have my masters degree, but my field is criminal justice and the police hiring process is brutally long. I’ve been living at home for two years (!!!!) applying to every single department I can. I substitute teach as my job because these departments require 5-6 visits each and they give me a weeks notice…imagine trying to ask for all those days off while working a full time job. I am finally going to the academy in Ocotober (8 months away). I more or less have been on a dating freeze while at home. I feel ashamed of it, and I feel like any girl worth her salt would just bail the moment she found out I lived at home. I actually get approached by women when I’m out, but I often sulk away mid-conversation because I’m so embarassed about my living situation. Am I making this out to be a bigger deal than it really is?

Roxy
    Roxy
    Participant
    January 17, 2015 at 1:47 pm #71200

Honestly that wouldn’t be off putting for me. You’re getting yourself established and it’s taking longer because of the field of work you’ve chosen, so from where I stand that is reasonable.

It does however make you feel almost like a young teenager dating again. If a girl has a problem with it that’s her problem and who knows you may ask a girl on a date who has her own place. As long as this isn’t a permanent living situation it shouldn’t be an issue.

January 21, 2015 at 7:23 pm #71380

it’s usually a deal breaker for women more than men

Christena
    Participant
    January 21, 2015 at 7:39 pm #71382

sorry bud

BNSteve
    Participant
    January 23, 2015 at 4:24 pm #71734

It dosen’t help but I doubt its a deal breaker.

TheShadow2015
    TheShadow2015
    Participant
    January 25, 2015 at 10:03 pm #71822

Depends if its a long distance relationship or not I suppose living by yourself would be more impressive and more grown up than still living with your parents but these days, (depending on age) most people understand that supporting yourself is a hard thing to be doing.