Long Relationship That's Starting to Hurt

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    November 11, 2017 at 9:02 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Randomguy12345
    Participant
    October 14, 2017 at 5:11 pm #152823

So I have been together with my girlfriend for about 3 and a half years now, we met when I was a sophomore in high school and she was a Freshman. Our relationship has been the greatest thing that has ever happened to me and we both love each other more than anyone else in this world. She is seriously the most perfect girl I could imagine and I don’t think I’ll love anyone more than I’ve loved her. This August, she went to college (2.5 hours away from me) and she’s playing field hockey there. She basically has no time to do anything except for study, play fh, and hang out with her teammates every now and then. We went into the year completely confident that our relationship would be fine but now, because she’s extremely stressed out and busy, she wants to take a break until we can see each other in December and resume our relationship then. Although I know that breaks can be healthy for long-term relationships, it truly feels like she abandoned me. What should I do?

moeb4797
    moeb4797
    Participant
    October 15, 2017 at 5:54 pm #152838

I know you’re feeling like she’s abandoning you, but think of it from her point of view, you know she loves you but she’s in a new environment and doing new things. She’s been thrown into a new world, after 3 and a half years she knows how important you are and what you mean to her, so try to be supportive of her decisions. During this break keep updated on her and give updates on yourself, but space is always good, it let’s the other person appreciate what they have, at the very least try and make sure to also think about what you want to do with the time as well. It’s always hard but love is never easy, especially with those that matter!

Randomguy12345
    Participant
    October 16, 2017 at 11:36 am #152924

thank you so much, that’s honestly helped me a ton and given me a different perspective on the situation, i seriously thank you for your help!

greatwhitebuffalo
    Participant
    October 17, 2017 at 11:20 pm #153146

Breaks can be healthy, I personally do not believe in them though. I honestly feel like she is exploring her new environment, and yes you are being neglected,in order to keep what is left of the relationship healthy it may be best to do your own thing and stay busy, match the space that she wants and come off confident, not needy. if you become ultra available it will push her away… find stuff that will keep you busy, and she should come around and make time for you…if you love someone you will make time for them no matter what, sometimes we get distracted though and fail to appreciate that person that we love, let her realize this.