Long-term Relationship break up

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 4:00 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

friavida
    Participant
    September 23, 2017 at 1:46 pm #150099

Does anyone here experience how to overcome a long-term relationship break-up?

• This topic was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  friavida.
    zerotrep
    zerotrep
    Participant
    September 25, 2017 at 9:38 am #150130

I was engaged to my GF of 7 years. She called off the wedding 3 months before the date. I was 25 at that time. She’d been the only person I’d been with, and my first love. It was devastating, and I had just moved to a new city and started a new job. She was finishing up college, so at that time, we were 9 hours away from each other.

Of course all sorts of thoughts were running through my head for weeks. New place, no friends in the area, and I felt all alone, but I managed to get through. The key is to stay busy. Hang out with friends if you can. But if you’re in the situation I had, I had to keep myself busy.

It all started with a walk through the mall, and ended up with me building a small online business that was pretty successful. Featured in a few publications and featured on the CBS Early Show.

Keep your mind moving, and you’ll be fine. Sitting at home doing nothing is going to eat you up inside. Don’t dwell on it, and do something you’re passionate about.

cdnrose
    Participant
    September 27, 2017 at 9:37 am #150415

I agree with zerotrep advice. Stay busy, keep your mind occupied

katek915
    Participant
    September 27, 2017 at 3:52 pm #150609

Definitely keep your mind busy, sitting at home by yourself will eat you alive believe me I know maybe try reading a good book that always helped me.

piscean
    Participant
    September 29, 2017 at 6:49 am #150851

What do you consider to be long-term? My longest relationship was 3 years, and so I consider it long-term. When we broke up, I mostly tried to keep to my close network of friends and family. I had them keep me occupied and told them not to allow me to pine. Depending on how the relationship ended (your idea, his?), build yourself up or remind yourself why it was good for you.

triciamint
    triciamint
    Participant
    September 29, 2017 at 10:21 am #150855

Keep yourself busy, hang out with friends, do things that make you keep your mind off the break up. Take it one step at a time. Time will heal your broken heart. Always have an open mind that one day you will be happy.

sye1776
    Participant
    September 29, 2017 at 9:23 pm #151033

My little sister dated a guy for 3 years and broke up the second she got accepted to grad school in NYC. She got over it relatively quickly but she’s kinda an emotionless person in general

dee1988
    Participant
    October 1, 2017 at 4:51 pm #151064

I was in a long term for four years and it was so hard to overcome the break up. Just love yourself for a while. Be patient and try to go no contact for as long as you can! Much love to you.

triciamint
    triciamint
    Participant
    October 3, 2017 at 10:03 pm #151359

Please don’t stalk the ex. It makes moving on more difficult and can make you bitter when you see the person happy with someone else.

xoxoemzxoxo
    Participant
    October 4, 2017 at 12:47 pm #151435
    Reply To: Long-term Relationship break up

I agree keep yourself busy with anything you can, try and go out with friends who arent mutual friends with your ex. Eventually the feelings and sadness will fade. When I broke up with my ex I was so depressed and anxious I ended up on tablets because I thought my life was going to end because he was no longer in it. Now a year and a half down the line I am have a new home, new job and my ex got in touch the other day to try and rekindle things, I wasnt interested anymore, I never ever thought that would happen.

Lunalu
    Participant
    October 4, 2017 at 10:15 pm #151525

I agree now to distractions. I wanted to breakup with my boyfriend many times cause we keep falling apart, now after 3 years still the same…i leave, get depressed and alone….and bam…by the end of the first week or 2 we are back together in a dysfunctional relationship. I wish I had kept myself busy but it’s never too late to do so
    I would do what I like. Like read manga or watch something
    There’s even spending time expressing how you feel on paper. It works wonders when you see a essay of Dell’s
    I wouldn’t know about you but I feel like I would be able to put words I couldn’t say down and feel glad enough they were acknowledged in this reality and recorded. Like similar to the phrase “felling like a weight has lifted from your shoulders”

ISA_ariete
    ISA_ariete
    Participant
    October 5, 2017 at 9:28 am #151552

I have been 6 years in a relationship. The end was traumatic, around 6 months and then we broke up. I suggest to try slowly to do what you like the most first, what makes you happy and relaxed. Be around friends helps, even if you feel like being alone and you cannot talk too much. Real friends will understand and will be there for you. The time is all. But you will be definitely better and really try not to isolate yourself, that is the worse thing ever!