Love in the Military

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Love in the Military

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 1:54 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

confused
    Participant
    December 11, 2013 at 12:17 am #44409
    Love in the Military

I have several questions and overall I’m pretty confused. I’m 16 and I think I love my best friend who is 19 and in the airforce. Is that too much of an age gap at this time? After a while of pondering it, he said it wasn’t good for either of us to date and said we should just stay best friends. And it seemed like a good idea but it broke my heart… I think I love him, and I don’t know what to do… Please help

masibr
    Participant
    December 14, 2013 at 1:19 pm #44555

3 years may seem like a lot when you are 16, and you will be in very different places, emotionally. When you are in your 20’s, 30’s and so on, it’s nothing. He may think you are too young at this moment. My advice is; wait. There will be others, and if you still have feelings for him in few years, when the age gap means less, then maybe you should try again.

confused
    Participant
    December 14, 2013 at 11:53 pm #44564

Thanks, I might try to talk to him about it later just so he knows what I’m thinking and stuff, I might get to skype him this week,
    And His reason for us staying best friends was because he wants me to “enjoy Highschool” and “be a teenager” but I don’t understand what he meant by that, could you help me out with that too?

Mimi94
    Participant
    April 7, 2014 at 6:27 pm #44547

Tbh your friend is right. It sucks but on the bright side, he is trying to protect you. He recognizes that he is too old for you and that you should be dating someone your own age. I know the feelings are strong–he is your best friend, after all–but I promise there will another boy soon. Perhaps in a few years you and your friend can start up a relationship. Until then, try to forget those feelings and move on. Good luck 🙂

Mimi94
    Participant
    April 7, 2014 at 6:27 pm #44548

Tbh your friend is right. I know it sucks, but he is trying to protect you. He recognizes that it would not be right for you to be together due to the large age gap and that you should be dating someone your own age. It may hurt right now but the best thing to do is forget those feelings. A little distance from the friendship might help and dating someone new will definitely make a difference. Distraction is your greatest weapon! Just live your life and don’t worry about love. You have so much life ahead of you to love. And when you discover true love you’ll be grateful for these experiences.

masibr
    Participant
    April 7, 2014 at 6:28 pm #44577

Being honest with him is a good thing! In regards to what he said, I would interpret it as that he thinks you are too young for him or maybe too young to be in a serious relationship with someone who’s work takes them away for longer periodes. Being in long distance relationships is tough! Being in one when you are this young, even tougher! He may not want you to have to deal with that kind of pressure when you are still in high school? Maybe he fears that starting something, that maybe won’t work out, would ruin your friendship?.. But you should trust your gut and not follow blindly the advice of a person on the internet that don’t know anything about you guys or your relationship! 😛 good luck!