major religious differences, can you get past them and how?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 5:03 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

BigBWolf26
    Participant
    September 7, 2014 at 2:11 pm #60858

After extensive frustration & many years on dating websites, I finally found what I first thought was the perfect woman. Artist, beautiful, sweet, same interests & numerous things that others don’t, etc.

Then I found out she was into spiritism & to my faith, that is the major’ist of no-no’s. She uses “oracles cards” daily, believes in astrology, can talk to spirits, etc.

My family would NEVER approve of her if they knew this. I could deal with other flaws, but this is the one thing that has me lay awake at night thinking over.

I need her to change, but I know that’s not popular to say & I’ve no idea how to get her to. I’m not extremely religious, I just know that demons are powerful creatures & want nothing to do with them.

Any advice? I love her & she loves me, but I don’t know if we could be a long term thing like I want if she keeps this up. 🙁

verywildberry
    Participant
    September 8, 2014 at 10:44 am #60888

It sounds like a very difficult situation. Have you talked to her about it? Tell her how you feel & how serious it all is to yourself/your family. Also consider which is more important to you – her interests/way of living or just simply herself? If you love her would you be able to accept her just the way she is? Just think about it, because like you said in the first sentence it’s not easy to find a right person. Good luck 🙂

Me_too
    Me_too
    Participant
    September 9, 2014 at 2:32 am #60981

BigBwolf26, you cannot get her change not even God (free will), she will have to be inspired to change. I’ve been in this situation before and you don’t want her to “convert” because of you. If she has to do it because of you would it be an honest “conversion”? You know the answer of that so do you really want to be with someone who is not honest about her believes if it matters so much for you?
    The best thing you can do is lead by example, be yourself, be great, and explain to her nicely why you do not agree with her religious believes. Be careful with that thou, you wanna show her love not hate. It’s a difficult situation because she might be inclined to “convert” so she can be with you.. Very dangerous!!! It must come from her own desire. You must talk this thru with her, communication is everything. The last thing you want is for her to give in because she is losing you and you accept that because you don’t want to lose her. Remember you CANNOT change her. I had an ex that

Me_too
    Me_too
    Participant
    September 9, 2014 at 2:34 am #60982

Baptized so she could stay with me.. I was very young and naive.. And guess what, it lasted for 3 years and that was it.. But if you’re already this uncomfortable then your heart is already telling you what your mind already knows.. Good luck bud