Meeting girls at university

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 3:58 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

tstudent
    Participant
    January 13, 2016 at 12:27 pm #91531

Hello!

I’m studying information technology at a university, therefore there aren’t many girls on the same classes with me. Also, my hobbies are such that I don’t really meet girls through them. Group excercise classes are an exception, but there’s no chance to talk during the class. So, I’ve thought that I should use “less optimal” opportunuties more efficiently. I’ve considered a few situations, where I see pretty girls. How could I start a conversation in each of them?

1. Girls are waiting for a class at the corridor. Challenge: girls are usually in groups and the time window is only a few minutes.

2. Girl is eating a lunch/having a coffee. If she’s alone, this isn’t too difficult. However, that seems to be the exception. Usually girls go for a lunch with friends.

3. Girl is just walking on the corridor. If we’re moving to the same direction, I could start a conversion very directly, e.g. complimenting her. The time window is short.

tstudent
    Participant
    January 13, 2016 at 12:27 pm #91532

4. Gym or group excercise class. People are there to focus on their workout, so it’s difficult to start conversation there.

5. Some other place or situation related to the university?

I’d also like to ask, what I could have done in the situation I encountered recently: I saw a really cute girl in the library atk class. The thing is, it’s obviously a quiet place, and starting a conversation would get a lot of attention. Also, she was wearing earphones and was writing quite fast, so I think she didn’t want to be distracted (but what if…). I decided to leave her alone and hope I’ll meet her at some other environment. It’s not an unreasonable wish, as it’s quite a small campus. However, I’m almost finished with my studies, so I’m running out of time. After graduation it will be much more difficult to meet girls of my age.

I know this was a long post. Thanks for patience, and possibly any tips. 🙂

January 13, 2016 at 12:30 pm #91533

Just tell them that you are a famous sportsman. Then site back and relax

tstudent
    Participant
    January 24, 2016 at 8:45 am #92032

I’m not that famous… Any other ideas?

max121212
    Participant
    January 24, 2016 at 3:49 pm #92040

I have one major point of advice when it comes to dating girls at university, Don’t. What I mean is don’t date girls from your university. Many of these girls are either not looking, already have something, or anything that does happen can instantly be thrown out the window because life can get in the way very easily for a university student. The best advice i can give you is to go out with some of the local girls, your gonna be there a few years, maybe you’ll find you like the area and might want to work or live in it when your done. especially if theres a girl you like in town :P. Nothing a girl working a 9 to 5 finds more attractive then a student who has goals and knows how to have fun 🙂 Good luck my friend

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  max121212.

anteaters
    Participant
    January 25, 2016 at 1:45 pm #92082

I am currently in the same situation. I am looking for a girl, and since I find intelligence very attractive, I am looking for girls at my university. Yesterday I actually walked through campus and looked for all of the cork boards where people post events and i wrote down anything that I thought was interesting and where I could possibly find intelligent women. These include mixers, presentations and seminars with a reception (food and a conversation topic), and student groups such as the debate team.

Of course, I have just started this search process so I have no results for you. Only methods.

I think that ambushing girls in the hallway (especially if they are on their way to their next class) could come across as creepy.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  anteaters.

tstudent
    Participant
    February 11, 2016 at 1:51 am #93346

@max: The thing is, I don’t really meet girls anywhere else. Sure, there is a possibility to that there’s a cute cashier at a store or some other more or less random place, but I wouldn’t count on that. Although it’s a technical university, I still have more chances to meet girls there than any other place. It’s a rather small city after all.

@anteaters: Thanks, I also check student events regularly. There aren’t many, but I join them when I see something interesting. I agree that it’s very easy to appear as creepy when approaching girls in the hallway, especially with direct openers. That’s why I’m asking for advice. Sometimes I see girls just waiting outside a class room, knowing that the lecture will start after 15 minutes. Wish I could use those opportunities better…

As mentioned, those situations are far from optimal. Any suggestions where/how to meet girs in a more natural way are very welcome.

djames
    djames
    Participant
    February 16, 2016 at 9:05 am #93667

The hardest part about meeting girls in the university setting is getting over the mental block of “do they want to talk to me?” People in college are generally looking to connect with others for a plethora of reasons besides romanticism, this can be a good way to link yourself into a friendship that leads somewhere. After all, having a nice guy to walk them to their car after class leaves a solid impression 🙂

tstudent
    Participant
    February 17, 2016 at 1:45 am #93735

Maybe, but it really depends on a situation. If a girl is busy studying or talking with fiends etc., I assume that she doesn’t want to be disturbed. In that case, if I anyway decide to talk to her, I’m usually super direct. For me, the difficulty is, that when I approach a total stranger, I need some kind of justification, why I’m talking to her. With direct “Hi, I think you’re really cute, so I decided to come and say hi. How’s your day been?”, the reason is pretty obvious. If she’s not busy, e.g. she’s drinking coffee alone, I just go with “Hi, may I join you?”. However, those situations are rare. Most of the time it seems like girls are in the middle of something. I prefer a less direct approach, but I just don’t know how to do it.

max121212
    Participant
    February 29, 2016 at 2:18 am #94577
    Reply To: Meeting girls at university

This is true, the best way i find to meet local girls that are interested is online. I personally used POF quite allot. It takes a bit of practice beign able to communicate online but you get the hang of it and get better, helps with your texting game too. The girl I’m currently seeing and have been for 6 months I met on POF and I literally would have never met her otherwise because she worked somewhere I would never need to go to. When i think of that all my doubts about online dating get thrown out the window because there is literally no other way I would have met her

tstudent
    Participant
    March 29, 2016 at 9:37 am #96681

I’ve actually tried online dating, but there aren’t very active sites in my country. On the most active site there are on average two new users per day in my area (about 200 km radius from where I live) who match the age criteria. I’d prefer talking to girls face to face, and my courage to do that has improved a lot during the last year. My skill… not so much. 😀 Or maybe the girls whom I approached really were in a relationship.

tstudent
    Participant
    March 29, 2016 at 9:40 am #96682

Hmm.. you’re jumping to conclusions. I’m interested in sports and music, singing in particular. I don’t really see those as nerdy hobbies. Sure, because I study IT, my way of thinking is quite logical, which can be seen as nerdy. Anyway, I couldn’t date a girl whom I don’t find attractive. I don’t know what you mean by “better than me”. I believe that my looks are ok, maybe even a bit above average, though I’m not exceptionally handsome. I’m a kind and caring person, and sometimes even funny. I’m studying a field that I find interesting and I have a job waiting when I graduate. My only real “weakness” when it comes to dating is that I’m not very outgoing or talkative person, and I lack experience. And I’m only interested in a long-term relationship.