Middle- Distance Relationship Problems

Author
    Comments
  • Winry
    Winry
    Participant
    September 5, 2016 at 11:00 pm #110535
    Middle- Distance Relationship Problems

My boyfriend seems frustrated with us living 1 hour 10 minutes away. We used to be about 35-40 minutes when I went to another college, but I transferred. I don’t regret transferring, but my boyfriend’s frustrations are making me wish I had just stayed at the same college. Almost every time we talk or text, he will say something like “I wish we were closer” and sometimes will say how he just wants to be with me more often. I understand that it sucks, but I look at it as only an extra hour of driving to see each other. I’m otherwise happier and less stressed where I am now. I even offered to drive more often to his house and spend the night since he works so much. I am trying to fix the problem but I feel like I am failing at it.

Is he overreacting? Is there a way I can make it less of a problem? I am so lost.

tyragiana
    tyragiana
    Participant
    September 7, 2016 at 12:12 am #110636

Overall you have to look out for your well being. If you are happier and less stressed you made the right decision to move. If you have been offering ways to fix the problem and he doesn’t like it, ask him what he would like to do to fix it. I think he might be overreacting a little bit. He might be used to seeing you more often so maybe it bothers him but if you explain to him how happy moving has made you, he should be happy for you and find a way to make it work.

LGconfused
    Participant
    September 9, 2016 at 9:33 am #110878

Winry I am in a similar situation but the distance is closer to 2 hours. We have only been dating for a month but his comments about the distance also makes me feel like he is not happy about it. Have you been able to communicate with your BF?

In your situation I think your BF was very comfortable and now it is more work driving the distance so he is whining like a child. I am sure once you arrange another pattern he will get use to that as well. I would also make the visits with him very fulfilling with lots of catching up and no bringing up the distance. Not sue how long you guys been dating but if the distance is temporary that is also a good thing to bring up.

Winry
    Winry
    Participant
    September 10, 2016 at 7:24 pm #110958

Have you been able to communicate with your BF?

Funny story. He dumped me. Yesterday. Over a text message! Is communication skills sucked. Im honestly relieved. I just felt like I was constantly being blamed for all of this. I know that I deserve someone who isn’t so needy. After he dumped me because he felt like he should be single since he can’t stand us being apart, I’ve realized that it would have never worked since he didn’t want to ever make sacrifices for me. But thanks lovelies for all of your input!