my younger sister is coming out

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 7:18 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

blackbird glide
    blackbird glide
    Participant
    November 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm #15785

I’m a young adult and I came out just about the same age my sister is but I hate to admit I feel like I don’t want her to come out too. Is that bad? I mean I guess there’s a bit of pride I give myself for being “different” than the rest of my family. I love my sister but he sometimes a little spotlight is nice. I’ve told her to wait a little longer to make sure she knows how she really feels before she decides to tell our mom and dad.

Caroline
    Caroline
    Participant
    November 26, 2012 at 6:26 pm #17262

I guess this forum is supposed to be a place for honesty and so on, but jesus, that’s selfish of you

blackbird glide
    blackbird glide
    Participant
    November 28, 2012 at 3:29 pm #17456

Well yea I admit I feel guilty about it but at the same time I feel like I’m trying to protect her from all the baggage that comes with being a young women coming out. I’m torn with all of it 😥

Becky
    Becky
    Participant
    November 30, 2012 at 5:04 am #17720

I definitely understand your concern regarding your sister. I had a friend in high school who came out. She got picked on quite a lot, and lost a lot of friends due to it. For some reason people seemed to think that hanging out with her was awkward. It’s really quite unfortunate.

I’d say the best thing you can do is offer your advice. Whether or not she’s hetero or homosexual is out of your control, but you can at least talk to her about the social strife that comes with coming out of the closet – especially at young ages when it may be more difficult to avoid it.

Anonymous
    December 13, 2016 at 7:16 am #119910

you are selfish!

Shiro
    Participant
    December 13, 2016 at 4:02 pm #120016

I actually came out to my mom last year which surprised me because the reaction she gave was the complete opposite to what I had in mind. I also have a little sister as well and if she defines herself differently when she gets older then it would be up to her to decide to tell or not, since she’s her own person. Personally, ask your sister who she wants to tell first and if she feels like it’s something she has to do.

Adamska
    Participant
    December 13, 2016 at 11:47 pm #120055

Damn

groovybaby33
    Participant
    December 19, 2016 at 9:56 am #120534

Let her come out when she feels ready and comfortable