Hundreds of Profiles, Is Mr. Right Online?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 3:12 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

C. Price
    C. Price
    Participant
    October 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm #15503

From profile pages, to eFlirting and meeting in person. All the above applies, here.

BlockBurger34
    BlockBurger34
    Participant
    October 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm #15924

It’s a scary world out there. You best be careful, because you can’t be too careful. There are some straight up creeps that woudln’t think twice about coming to your house and watching you get undressed. But there are also some very nice men (or women, if that’s your thing, i guess) who are overlooked in real life for whatever reason.

WiseOnWhiskey
    WiseOnWhiskey
    Participant
    October 29, 2012 at 6:41 pm #15928

It’s so true. I have met some really good guys that werent my type, but were way more my type than the weird tiny-shorts and hairy chest guys I see at clubs.

who knew_56
    who knew_56
    Participant
    November 1, 2012 at 11:42 am #15931

Hhaahaha omg this one time I saw a profile picture of a guy in knee high socks, roller skates, and short shorts. He was wearing a tight tshirt that said roly poly on it. So tacky.

KrispyPorter
    Participant
    November 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm #16092

No, what’s worse was seeing a gay man’s profile wearing a shirt that said “Wouldn’t bend over even if I was gay” I’m pretty sure it was meant for a straight guy.

It’s unfortunate so many people in the gay community still use gay humor and sarcasm as a way to hide their insecurities.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  KrispyPorter.
    WiseOnWhiskey
    WiseOnWhiskey
    Participant
    November 14, 2012 at 4:32 pm #16171

When men get too serious about their profiles it’s also a bit overwhelming. Like I met a nice guy from eHarmony because his profile info seemed pretty basic but turns ou he was WAY more into the sports and “social drinking” than what he said online. I was turned off, didn’t care to see him for date #2.

chris_08
    chris_08
    Participant
    November 20, 2012 at 10:52 am #16772

I’ve tried to add a bit of personality to my conversations online because it’s hard to tell what they might be like in person.
    Especially guys who abuse those damn emoticons. 😮 😎 😯

KrispyPorter
    Participant
    November 21, 2012 at 4:43 pm #17075

When men get too serious about their profiles it’s also a bit overwhelming. Like I met a nice guy from eHarmony because his profile info seemed pretty basic but turns ou he was WAY more into the sports and “social drinking” than what he said online. I was turned off, didn’t care to see him for date #2.

A lot of gay guys really put too much pressure on online dating, especially when it’s obviously a “hookup” kind of site.

chipdip
    Participant
    November 27, 2012 at 5:32 pm #17392

There really isn’t much room to describe much about yourself sometimes. I use a mobile app and it’s limited because well since the screen is so small so you have to really hit the best points to get someone’s attention.

tony34
    Participant
    December 7, 2012 at 11:19 am #18385
    Reply To: Hundreds of Profiles, Is Mr. Right Online?

Online dating for gay men has been a popular way to mingle but not get a serious relationship out of it. I haven’t had any success finding a guy close to “Mr. Right” so I’ll just leave it to meeting friends through friends or have the casual run-in. I have the patience to find the right guy, online dating is for the impatient.

chipdip
    Participant
    December 21, 2012 at 10:19 am #19299

I don’t consider myself IMPATIENT to find Mr. Right. Like I said there’s a mobile app I use and I can casually flip through pictures/ profiles and message them at my leisure. I’m not in a hurry to fall in love but I do like messaging back and forth and having casual conversation with a guy because there’s no pressure if we both just want to have a little fun via txt.

mcdc80
    mcdc80
    Participant
    February 7, 2013 at 2:25 pm #22113

I’m not a fan of online dating. Personally I find them to be a bit frustrating, as there is no real “buy in” or connection made. I have a few dating apps (Grindr, Jackd, Scruff, etc)…and often I find that conversation can be fast and furious at the inception, but quickly dies off when anyone mentions meeting for a drink in person. And if you can’t meet in person, then what’s the point?

chipdip
    Participant
    February 8, 2013 at 12:02 pm #22200

I’m not a fan of online dating. Personally I find them to be a bit frustrating, as there is no real “buy in” or connection made. I have a few dating apps (Grindr, Jackd, Scruff, etc)…and often I find that conversation can be fast and furious at the inception, but quickly dies off when anyone mentions meeting for a drink in person. And if you can’t meet in person, then what’s the point?

Hey I think you’re right! The purpose of online dating is to move conversation OFFline. Since it’s become so popular to just sign up and browse through profiles, it might just be a tool and less of a catalyst guys are using to take advantage of meeting people. Nobody’s doing it right so I think we’re all in trial mode haha

mcdc80
    mcdc80
    Participant
    February 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm #22218

Exactly. I personally use it as more of a form of entertainment. When I’m bored, I’ll just hop online and see who’s around and strike up conversation. But that’s really it. Personally for me, the best way to meet potential dates is through my friends – going to brunch, a party, etc. By doing so, you have an instant point of connection (your friend), and somewhat of an assurance that you will be on the same wavelength (because people that are friends tend to be similar on some level).

tony34
    Participant
    March 20, 2013 at 4:31 pm #26492

I’ve yet to see a computer algorithm match people the right way (maybe because it hasn’t worked for me) so I’ve been stubborn about trying to pursue many matches whenever I get alerts. It’s nice to browse through but then it gets frustrating when people don’t turn out to be who they said…