Online dating and exchange of phone numbers. When is the right time?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments

• elma
    Participant
    September 7, 2016 at 6:46 pm #110755

Hello all,

I’m new to online dating thing and I was wondering when is the right time to give your phone number to someone.
    When I first registered, the first messages I received came with the question of giving my phone number.
    I thought it was crazy but then I realised that the majority of men was asking the same question from the first or second message.
    Is it normal? I mean it’s a personal information that you’re not supposed to give so easily to a complete stranger.
    Is it how online dating works? Am I being crazy?
    Thanks for your responses

( Sorry for my bad english. I’m not a native speaker)

lifestylelogic
    Participant
    September 7, 2016 at 9:27 pm #110762

I wouldn’t say that’s the norm. As a guy, I usually like to have at least a bit of a conversation to see if I like the girls personality (at least from what I can tell from the messaging). I would suggest saving your number for guys that you’ve chatted with a little built and feel comfortable talking to

Nathan86
    Nathan86
    Participant
    September 7, 2016 at 11:15 pm #110769

It really depends. Some people prefer to switch to real dating immediately and some prefer to “stay” online for some time. I would say there is no norm. What I usually do I just chat for a while and then jump to real contacts. Good luck anyway!

Winry
    Winry
    Participant
    September 10, 2016 at 7:29 pm #110959

I personally talk to the guys first for a little while before I let them have my number. If they are interested enough to keep a conversation going ( and not just horny messages) then they probably are okay to do so. Another way to have a more personal contact is through snapchat. It’s easy to unfriend and block if they turn out to be a creeper!

Kyruil
    Participant
    September 12, 2016 at 1:21 am #110986

Unfortunately having done a fair amount of online dating I generally go with my gut feeling on this one. Is the messaging service on the site you are on not working? You can always block them if things get weird. I have only blocked one. I have poor internet at my home and POF doesn’t work well. I have an account on a different messenger service that I have used as well. A lot of it depends on the tone of the messages they are sending on the dating site. If they seem to be someone that I might be actually interested in I will give it out. If they ask for my number in the first few conversations…. absolutely not. LMAO, but then again I’m still single and here looking for advise as well.

acooper815
    Participant
    November 2, 2016 at 1:42 pm #116144

For me it has usually happened when we are trying to meet in person. Usually I chat a bit and then if the person is interested in meeting, we exchange numbers. Unless the app is closing the conversation.

samhbrum11
    Participant
    November 7, 2016 at 4:14 pm #116649

Ive been online dating for a while now and I find its best to give out your phone number after a couple days of messaging on the app. If you feel tired of checking the app but want to keep talking to them then ask if you can have their phone number to make things easier. If they ask you for your phone number right away, I would be completely honest and say that I would rather talk on the app for a little before giving out my number. It’s easier this way because you can easily block them or delete them on an app if things start going wrong or you just dont feel like talking to them anymore. It’s much harder to do that when they have your phone number because most guys will just keep texting you asking where you went and why you wont talk to them anymore.

Hawkeye
    Participant
    November 7, 2016 at 5:16 pm #116665

I personaly like to wait a little while in getting to know someone first before giving out too much personal information. I find taking a little time helps weed out the serious to not so serious prospects and depending on the dating website also keep from being played by scammers.

josefina1946
    Participant
    November 9, 2016 at 7:03 pm #116947

Time to time.
    It is dangerous to give personal data.
    You have to be very sure.

Anonymous
    November 10, 2016 at 6:33 am #116955
    Reply To: Online dating and exchange of phone numbers. When is the right time?

I think it depends on the situation , you should know well that person before giving your number. It’s better that it would take maybe 2-3 weeks of knowing that person but as what I’ve said it depends upon the situation.

cosmicdust
    Participant
    November 17, 2016 at 11:13 pm #117777

I got burned by this. I had met a girl online, talked for a week before going out for a successful date. We left with her saying we should see each other again. The next contact we had was me asking for her number, it only seemed reasonable at that point. She responded by deleting her account and disappearing.

akatsuki
    Participant
    November 18, 2016 at 2:50 am #117781

I’ll say you shouldn’t be giving your phone number just like that, it can be really privacy problem. However some people are not more into using whatsapp for chatting, but personally I’ll say you shouldn’t until you know him for a while.

starbottle
    Participant
    November 20, 2016 at 11:12 am #117939

I normally exchange messages with a girl for at least a week before I ask for her phone number, sometimes longer. I really would not give your phone number out to someone on the first message, especially if the message is very generic and it might look like they send the same message to many girls hoping one would reply right away with a number.