Opinions please… Will he want to try again?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 2:02 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

a2alexa
    a2alexa
    Participant
    May 28, 2016 at 12:25 am #101584

There’s this guy I dated for about a month and a half. He had been my best friend, and the relationship evolved into dating. It was an amazing relationship. We are extremely compatible, we had few disagreements and all were resolved very quickly, his family loves me and mine him. Just a few days ago, he told me he wanted to go back to being just friends, then broke down and essentially folded into my arms and cried on my shoulder. He kept apologising and telling me it wasn’t me, that I had been wonderful, he just wasn’t ready, and he wasn’t sure why all his relationships ended like this. Even though this happened less than a week ago, as of last night, he and I are talking and interacting like best friends again. None of it lines up, though – the relationship had been going so well. It didn’t start teetering until the last week, when he began to withdraw. I love him like crazy, and to be honest I want him back but I don’t wanna push him. D’you think he’ll want to try again, given time?

a2alexa
    a2alexa
    Participant
    May 28, 2016 at 12:32 am #101585

I didn’t get to give a whole lot of context because of the character limit, but he and I had met in one of my classes before I transferred out of it. At the time, we didn’t talk much, even in the class. It wasn’t until he started working with me at my job that we really hit it off as best friends, immediately. That went on for about a month, and the relationship evolved as we spent time together until it was obvious that our emotional connection was more than that of friendship.
    During the relationship, we spent a lot of time together and one of the better theories I’ve heard is that he got overwhelmed. I think maybe he got scared. He has some self-confidence issues and I think that may have contributed, as well. I feel like this may not be permanent separation… My mind doesn’t register all the good times and compatibility and everything that was good in the relationship as nothing, but for now we’re essentially best friends again while I hope that he decides he wants to try again.

Desmonnd
    Desmonnd
    Participant
    May 28, 2016 at 3:10 pm #101590

He is some kind of a nut job. If this is an amazing relationship, it is amazing because If I were in his place, YOU would be making my life worth living, and I would be wondering how I could be a better boyfriend for you.
    I might have suspected that there is some other woman involved and she wants to be in an exclusive relationship with him, but if he can’t discuss this issue with you in a rational manner, and he just wierds out on you, you will probably fall out of love with him. Unfortunately this may take a long time for you to do this and you will feel bad for a while.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Desmonnd Desmonnd.

Jackaquack
    Participant
    May 29, 2016 at 1:12 am #101595

I think he has some personal issues going on. Perhaps another girl like Desmond mentioned? I would lay off until he approaches you again.

Louie97
    Participant
    May 29, 2016 at 9:38 pm #101603

I agree with the others. His hot and cold behavior is probably the result of his indecision to choose between you and the likelihood of another woman being in the picture. I would move on as clearly he can’t decide if he wants you as a “best friend” or a girlfriend.

a2alexa
    a2alexa
    Participant
    May 31, 2016 at 8:55 am #101592

I… Appreciate the comment… But I know for a fact that there isn’t another woman involved. He isn’t that kind of person at all. He lacks a great deal of self confidence and I think this gives him trouble in relationships… I honestly just think he got scared, both of getting hurt and of hurting me… I just want to know if you think the chances are good that given time, he’ll want to try again. He and I are essentially best friends again now… I’m trying to make it clear to him in the next while that I’m not giving up on him. I honestly love him a lot… And I really want to try again, but I want to leave it up to his discretion because I don’t want to rush him.