Personal Space opinions from an International perspective

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    November 11, 2017 at 7:20 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Anonymous
    April 11, 2017 at 11:53 am #132848

Dating a guy that’s lived here for 4 years – we met about a year ago because we share the same past time & go to an event that happens once a week to hangout w/ all of our friends. We started dating about 3 weeks ago & have hung out almost every day except for a few days, including me staying the night almost every time. He says where he’s from they don’t really get the whole “personal space” concept and he doesn’t really think it’s important to have that since he didn’t grow up like that. We both seem to have the same understanding that we’re both clingy and mature individuals that don’t want to f*ck up any kind of relationship that would affect our past time hobby. But as an American dating someone who’s not, I’m still a little concerned even though I REALLY like him. I have a lot of free time to see him right now, but that will change here in about a month, so I won’t be able to see him very often around that time anyways. It is too much even though we’ve been good friends for a year?

omada22
    Participant
    April 13, 2017 at 9:42 am #133105

Personal space is one of the most important things…

richiro
    richiro
    Participant
    April 13, 2017 at 2:11 pm #133166

depends on who you ask. as with most things – there is not one universal that everybody agrees to. So.. the REAL question is. is it important to you? is it important to him? Based on that is there a way that works for both of you or not?

When oy talk about preferences, personal feelings, etc. – it always comes down to what each person involved believes and thinks. There is never 1 answer that fits all.

Good luck.

RWn
    Participant
    April 16, 2017 at 7:42 pm #133396

It’s a tricky one: the infatuation that comes with the beginning of a relationship is so irresistable often that you write it off although you have a sneaking suspicion you shouldn’t, and simply tell yourself: ‘pah, personal space is for people less in love than we are’.

I remember my last relationship started in such a whirlwind. We lived on top of each other. We did EVERYTHING together. We lost touch with friends, and became so totally consumed in the relationship that the outside world as I had known it as a single girl seemed to virtually cease to exist. It was all wonderful for a while of course, but looking back at it, totally unhealthy.

Most people need time to spend with themselves. We shouldn’t be afraid of being alone. It is, in my opinion, one of the most centering, healthy things we can do, in the right amounts. It gives us a sense of who we are, what we want from life, what we are looking for. Personal space and personal friendships are sacred in a relationship!