Problems with my 3 year long relationship…

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    September 9, 2017 at 9:50 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

taylorb111
    Participant
    August 23, 2017 at 12:56 pm #146657

So my boyfriend and I are 23 years old. We met when we were young and in college and have been dating for 3+ years. We recently moved to another state together and have talked about getting engaged a lot in the past, but have been facing a lot of problems for a few months now. Throughout our entire relationship, I have asked him to be more romantic and more deep/emotional with me and he always gave effort at first, but now that we are busy and working, he is putting in less effort and it makes me feel like something is missing in our relationship. I am a very thoughtful and emotional person, and to me if feels like I may need to be with somebody who doesn’t block out their feelings as he does and thinks about things more deeply, because I believe a person like that would be more romantic and I would have more of an emotional connection with them. My boyfriend is my best friend and I love him more than anything in the world, but I don’t want to look back in 20 years and be unhappy.

taylorb111
    Participant
    August 23, 2017 at 1:01 pm #146659

Let me just add that he is perfect in every other way. He is loyal, he is kind, he is trustworthy. We’ve never had any other problems in our relationship but this. His family and my family are very close. I talk to his brothers and mom every single day, which makes this 100 times harder. Am I being too picky or is this a deal breaker? Anybody have an experience like this in the past?

Anonymous
    August 23, 2017 at 5:09 pm #146742

Hi,

I don’t think a person can ever be too picky. It’s your life and you are entitled to be happy.

What I hear you saying is that you crave more personal communication from him. Perhaps more introspection on his part. I can see how difficult it becomes because of the family relationship. and the fact that he is your best friend.

Sometimes best friends are great for romantic relationships. Other times not.

How about deciding what is most important to you in a “romantic relationship” and then deciding if your boyfriend meets the criteria. I am providing a link to an article that might help.

I wish you the best of luck. Remember, it’s your life and your happiness and everyone can give advice but only you can decide what’s best for you.

Take care. Dave https://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/before-you-give-up-dating-read-gmp/