Profile Help

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Profile Help

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 5:44 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

rosecoloredglasses
    rosecoloredglasses
    Participant
    June 18, 2016 at 7:33 pm #103605
    Profile Help

I am having zero luck with my current dating profile on Match. I would love to have some advice from real people on what has worked for them. Thank you!

blondie4546
    Participant
    June 21, 2016 at 8:34 am #103753

I was on POF – I made sure I was honest on my profile (no point in saying I’m 21 when I’m a 44 year old single mum!) and listed a big variety of interests so there’d be likely to be something to start a conversation about. Also, made it clear I was just looking for someone to have fun with and chat to for now… mind you saying that I met the guy I’ve been with for 5 months after about 6 weeks and took my profile back down LOL

Good luck, there’s someone out there for everyone!

missOpera1993
    Participant
    June 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm #103801

Okay, online dating can be the pits. Trust me. I’m sure you’ve experienced it as well. But here are some things that really help:

1. Smiling pictures. Make sure you seem approachable. Nice. Friendly. Someone you would want to be friends with. No selfies. Have someone take a picture of you or something.

2. Be engaging! Don’t put “I enjoy long walks on the beach”. Everyone enjoys that. What makes you unique? How are you different than the rest of the hoards of people on the dating website?

3. Take initiative. If you want to be noticed, notice other people. Chat with people first. Don’t be afraid to reach out to others.

These have worked for me in the past, with varying results. Just remember, you are wonderful even if no one swipes left on you for 10 days! 🙂

zenny
    Participant
    July 27, 2016 at 12:21 pm #106765

Not sure if you are a guy or girl. But I think either way the pictures probably do a majority of the work. Really try your best to find good angles, good backgrounds, don’t just post anything. Aside from that you should really just write what the opposite sex wants to hear. That doesn’t mean lie, but if you are only “sort of” into something, like say rock climbing, it’s ok to act like it’s something you really like.

It does seem like dating websites have changed since I last used them like 4 years ago. Before it was rather easy to get a response when you make initial contact, right now I get a lot of people initiating with me, so clearly there’s nothing wrong with my profile, but my attempts at initiating just go nowhere. The good thing is, very good options contact me.

It’s also VERY important to stay active, as people only contact me when I’m active, if I don’t look at the dating website for 2 weeks, nothing, I become active, and suddenly I get a message or two.

happy2b
    happy2b
    Participant
    August 13, 2016 at 2:13 pm #108155

One problem is there is really very few people actually available on those sites. Most of the profiles belong to people who do not have paid accounts, and so they can’t read or reply to email. I’ve met a couple of nice men on those sites, but it’s deceptive how many are actually just hollow accounts. Maybe they just come there to browse photos and have no intention of actually meeting anyone. One friend told me many of the people listed on the sites are just shills for the companies.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by happy2b happy2b.